What's happening? YUCK in sump

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Okay, so guide me along here. Tank water is pretty clear with a slight green tinge to it. I was expecting that. Just part of the cycle. What's in my sump though? It's brown, sticking to everything and looks like a light dusting of sand but it's not sand, I don't think. Also, the water in my return pump section almost looks like swap water on top. It's hard to define, but it looks like a clear, almost, film on it, like it's stagnant. It's where the return pump is, how can it be stagnant looking?

Need guidance and explanations. Just for my own knowledge. Thanks!

Sump does not have lights but does have live rock. About 9 lbs. Are these a bad thing? I know that when they die off it usually signals the cycle coming to an end. My water parameters do not support this however.

For the stagnant looking stuff,that's probably proteins building up on the water surface.Most likely a skimmer issue.

And lets hope the brown in the sump isn't dinoflagellates.That's where mine started,then they took over the tank.

The skimmer is being hard to figure out. Too much water and it over reacts, too little and it doesn't reach the cup. The water level difference is only about 1/2 inch and I seem to be losing more than that to evaporation every day. Guess I need to find a deal on an ATO. at least I'll be able to set the water level at a constant that way.

If it is Dinoflagellates, what can be done about it at this point? Anything? Would a water change help? From what I have read, water changes aren't due for a while or until the tank cycles.

what kind of skimmer?

where is it located?

If it can fit in your sump, you can put it in the section that always has the same water level. That way the setting isnt effected by evaporation.

Skimmer is an Eshoppes 120. It's in the center section of the sump. I'm not sure I understand what you mean. My sump has three sections, the baffles are not touching the bottom so all three have the same water level.

Can you post of pic of the brown stuff you mentioned in your sump?
It could be that its just detritus.But I'd rather be sure before I take many assumptions.

Back