What to do with used LiveRock?

It wouldn't technically be a new setup. I would be reusing probably 60% of his water and all of his liverock.

it's not technically a new setup, but moving is a very stressful process for a tank, and you may have cycling issues. I would test daily for the first week or so to make sure you arent seeing any issues. You want to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Calcium is only important if you're keeping corals

Ok, everything is setup. Live Rock looked ok and smelled ok. Just like the ocean. The rock on top had a purplish tint to it though, I think it's because of the light, right? Will monitor over the next few days.

scaled.php

I mixed 10 Gallons of new water with 2.5 cups per 5 gallons. I have the PH, Nitrite, Nitrate and ammonia tests. I think I have the salinity test, does it have like an arrow inside of it with a bunch of different numbers ranging from 1.00 to 1.4 or so? How do I go about using it?

Should also say that I got a 100 gallon skimmer, a tank heater, a filter that I can't seem to get working, both night and day lights. I didn't organize the LR yet, as I'm waiting for the water to become clearer so I can see what it will look like. But everything is now in the tank.

Last edited:
Ok, everything is setup. Live Rock looked ok and smelled ok. Just like the ocean. The rock on top had a purplish tint to it though, I think it's because of the light, right? Will monitor over the next few days.

I mixed 10 Gallons of new water with 2.5 cups per 5 gallons. I have the PH, Nitrite, Nitrate and ammonia tests. I think I have the salinity test, does it have like an arrow inside of it with a bunch of different numbers ranging from 1.00 to 1.4 or so? How do I go about using it?

Should also say that I got a 100 gallon skimmer, a tank heater, a filter that I can't seem to get working, both night and day lights. I didn't organize the LR yet, as I'm waiting for the water to become clearer so I can see what it will look like. But everything is now in the tank.

So you put the newly mixed saltwater in the tank without checking the salinity/specific gravity?
Depending on who you talk to, the nominal range would be 1.023 to 1.025, although I have seen people go as low as 1.020 and some as high up as 1.028.

I try to keep my tank water at 1.023.

The hydrometer is what you will use to measure the specific gravity of the water.
What kind do you have?
Some are small containers where you pour the water up to a specific line and watch where the arrow stops.
Some look like thermometers that you place on the water's surface and see where the waterline lines up with the numbers.
There are also digital refractometers that gives you a digital readout of the water's salinity.

something that looks like this.
5137802503C.jpg

I don't think it works though. How long doe sit take for the arrow to move?

edit: Nevermind, just tried it again, it is at 1.020. A tad low, correct? I will wait and see if anything changes in the AM.

Last edited:
Hydrometers can be very inaccurate and should be replaced every 6 months or so. Even brand new out of the box, hydrometers don't read the same as each other. You should invest in a refractometer when you get a chance -- they cost about $30 to $40. Be sure to get some calibration fluid with it so you can calibrate it. :)

Take that Koran to the fish store please. He needs a huge tank.

Tbh Aquarium stuff is alot like cars, once you use it, the price pretty much halves. Be wary, i see far to many aquariums way overpriced on kajiji and the like.

I paid $300 for a 55 gallon corner tank with 90lb of live rock along with slimmer, fans, and pretty much everything else I needed. I think I got a good deal

Everything checked out last night. Ammonia was 0 nitrate was 0 and nitrite was 0. Ph was 8.0. 2 fish went in. The angelfish seems good. Moving around well and eating algae flakes. The goby isn't eating and doesn't really come out much. What do gobies eat? Algae flakes?

The angel is still relatively small probably 2-3" so i will keep it until it gets a little bigger. Im beginning to like the little guy.

I get that feeling like u have no intention of rehoming that Koran. FYI...the longer u keep him, the harder it is to let go. If u really like him, get him a bigger home. It's to bad that fish don't talk.

Back