what sand to use in fuge??

You can use the sugar sized, you want the flow in your fuge to be slow, so there shouldn't be any sand getting kicked up

+1 Brian. I used a very fine sand for my fuge and it works just fine. Like Brian said, the flow should be slow though the fuge and you should not have to worry about the sand flying around.

If its just for pods and macro, I think you can use most any sized sand. Sugar sized is good for DSB's because of the increased surface area.

Here's what I'm interested in. Why the slow flow advice? I hear that now and then, but I don't understand. I have always had high flow. When I had a DSB I had sugar sized and it didn't blow around.

How does slow flow help macro absorb nutrients? I think it would be the opposite. .

Last edited:
If its just for Pods, I think you can use any sized sand. Sand with crushed shells or big gravel is more likely to trap debris.

Sugar sized is good for DSB's because of the increased surface area.

Why the slow flow? I hear that now and then but I don't understand how slow flow is going to help macro absorb nutrients. I think it would be the opposite.

I am using a small sized gravel.

The reason you want slower flow is because the macro can only absorb nutrients so quick. If your flow is too fast then you're macro won't be pulling out all the Nitrates it should, and you're not using your fuge to it's full potential

The reason you want slower flow is because the macro can only absorb nutrients so quick. If your flow is too fast then you're macro won't be pulling out all the Nitrates it should, and you're not using your fuge to it's full potential

I understand the concept, but is there any research to support that? I'm not trying to argue with you. I just like to learn the science behind what we do and filtration/ water quality is my favorite topic.

I haven't seen any research data and my own experience has been with high flow. When I researched it I just found opinions both for high and low flow. Somewhere someone studied macro nutrient absorbtion.

Last edited:
Here is an article from a site selling macro. It is not based on any study but is an example of a random source promoting high flow. its from www.saltwatereddies.com/.../chaetomorpha_macroalgae_spaghetti_large.html

A popular choice for refugium macroalgae among advanced aquarists in the United States is Chaetomorpha. Unlike Caulerpa, Chaetomorpha is multicellular and, as such, is inherently more stable. It can be cut and pruned aggressively with little or no fear of toxins being released or having vegetative crashes. And, like its namesake, it can also simply be thinned gently with ease like strands of spaghetti noodles. It is fast growing and makes an excellent vehicle for nutrient export! It is also highly adaptable to a very wide range of lighting [Tip: illuminate most macroalgae in refugia with at least 1 watt of light per liter of water at depths less than 30 cm]. Like most "vegetable-filter" algae species, moderate to strong water flow is necessary; keep a total water flow of at least 20X turnover of the volume of the culturing vessel. There are many other benefits to spaghetti algae, not the least of which is that it is a superb matrix for the cultivation of microcrustaceans. Aquarists with thick masses of Chaetomorpha in their refugiums get a bounty of zooplankton to feed their corals in their display, assuming the refugiums is kept without predators like fishes on the plankton. This genus is also a rather hardy shipper; trading among aquarists is strongly encouraged to distribute this useful organism in the hobby.
Nutrient Transport and Nitrate Removal are two key factors in a successful reef system. Here is some useful info I came across at reefland:
"Spaghetti algae" is one of the very best macroalgae for nutrient export in "vegetable filter" style refugiums. Chaetomorpha Macro Algae, Chaeto, pronounced "kay-toe", is a great way to naturally turn the nitrogenous compounds of your tank into plant food!!! The waste by-products of life, along with the light you provide for photosynthesis, will help this chaeto double in size on a regular basis. The always popular chaeto, works great, and wont go asexual! Chaetomorpha Algae, also known as Spaghetti Algae or Green Hair Algae, is an excellent macro algae for refugiums. Each cell grows end to end, creating long, stiff strands. It grows in filamentous clumps, resembling a ball of fishing line. You can "prune" it and throw it away--or you can compact it for even greater nutrient absorption. If you have a refugium, just throw this clump in there---it's like a Brillo pad--it stays together fairly well. You can also put it into a mesh bag for use in your main tank. There are many different ways you can contain the chaeto in your main tank all the while providing great hiding spots for the tiny "critters" in your tank. This algae is fast growing and is not palatable to many herbivorous species.
Chaetomorpha Algae removes both phosphates and nitrates from the water. To increase the amount of nutrients this algae exports, use moderate to high lighting and keep it in an area of high water flow.It should ideally be tumbled in an algae filter. This algae is sold by the bag and will arrive in a dense mat.

keep a total water flow of at least 20X turnover of the volume of the culturing vessel.

That's not a strong flow of water though. Think about the size of the section in the fuge where we keep the chaeto, for most of us, that's what maybe 200gph. Not a lot of flow.
Also, your article was for chaeto specifically, mangroves need much slower flow than that since they absorb nutrients slower than other macroalgaes

That's not a strong flow of water though. Think about the size of the section in the fuge where we keep the chaeto, for most of us, that's what maybe 200gph. Not a lot of flow.
Also, your article was for chaeto specifically, mangroves need much slower flow than that since they absorb nutrients slower than other macroalgaes

You're right, that would be low considering just 20x the fuge volume.

Back