what kind of

dustin_P74

Reef enthusiast
live rock should i use in my 120 gallon tank. its not set up yet so once i have the water in there do i have to wait for the cycle to complete before i put the live rock in there or can i just put it in with the initial water.

You use the live rock to cycle your tank,so add it right away.There many different types of live rock and base rock.You can either use all live or a combination of two to save money.Aim for at least 1lb per gallon.My preference is for light weight,porous and good coverage of colorful coralline.

Liveaquaria's Lalo live rock looks particually nice.Saltycritter's live rock are awesome as well.

I would buy figi live rock and try to avoid base rock because it turns bright green when you go through your algae stage. I f you do make sure you cover as much as you can with sand. and Dont pay extra for cured if your tank is just starting to cycle.

It took about 4-5 weeks to cycle but the cycling problems persisted for about 6-7 weeks. Bad algae troubles (brown diatom) covered all the rock and sand for awhile. Regular water changes and persistent cleaning of the rock with a turkey baster helped out a lot. Patience is no joke in this hobby.

I bought it partially cured, still had a smell to it. The LFS had only had it in stock for about a week or so when i bought it.

ok. i might as well go with a cured live rock to cycle my tank but i still dont know which kind to go with. i might as well go see what my LFS has before i go looking around online

well like i said ill go to my LFS and see what they have and go from there, when i get to the LFS what should i look for to tell what the best rock is

To be honest with you, buy the best your pocket book can afford with out breaking the bank. Not all LR is created equal. Some is more dense than others and makes for better filtration.

Back