What is up with my skimmer ???

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
It started last night. It just foams over. It's worse today. The only thing we changed was the new lighting and lowering the pvc tube in the overflow. That was it. Now, it looks like a big bubble bath in the sump...... What is causing this ?

Attachments

• IMG_2493.webp
    IMG_2493.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2496.webp
    IMG_2496.webp
    33 KB · Views: 150
What pvc tube did you lower?

The drain going into the sump or the discharge of the skimmer?

If it is on the skimmer, and is further down into the water, it might cause enough backpreasure to do this?

Any new additives lately?

Brian

No new additions, the pvc in the overflow box, that takes water out of the tank to the skimmer. Our tube going into the skimmer is pretty far down, it's always been like that. How far into the water should it be ?

Dont know then. If the pipe isnt attached to the skimmer, changing it out shouldnt have changed the performance of the skimmer.

Sorry I couldnt help. Where is biff or yote when you need them!!!!!:mrgreen:

looks like your skimming to wet and need adjusting, you prolly cleaned it recently? somtimes when i clean my skimmer, i get some overlfow and gotta re adjust.

Well, the tank had a lot of air bubbles in it. They were everywhere. So, I took the skimmer out and cleaned it. Let it out for about 3 days. The air bubbles in the tank are gone. I called the water department to see if they added anything to their water, they said they add everything as the water comes in. So, nothing new was added. She said it sounds like air is getting into the plumbing somehow. She said to scoop up the foam in a glass. If it all turns to clear water, than it's air in the lines. If it's cloudy, then it's something in the water. It all turned clear water. So, we took the plumbing off and redone it, resealed it. I can still see air bubbles in the tube coming from the tank to the sump. Oh, and took off the brass fittings also. Put the skimmer in today. It's still foaming, but not as bad. The cup isn't filling up with water...... yet. Should there be air bubbles in the line from the tank to the sump ?

Oh, and when I cleaned the sump, found my Yellow Watchman Goby in the part where the pump is..... He had a long journey to get there.

Is the air on the return side or the drain from the display?
If its on the drain,there'll be some air in the line.
If its on the return,just unplug the return pump and let the back flow push the air out.

It's in the drain side. We had it on for about 4 hours today, and it did the same as before. The cup filled up with water, foam everywhere....air bubble back in the tank. We took the drain tube off the cup, tied a knot in the air adjuster, now water is not going up in the cup, just foam. Is it normal to have to do all these adjustments to a skimmer ?

Your getting the air bubble in the drain because as the water drops down,its pulling air with it.

As for having to adjust the skimmer,thats just something you gotta live with in this hobby.

Well, I had to shut the skimmer off again. The tank is full of air bubbles again !!!! All over the rocks, the jets, it is everywhere. I don't know what else to do.

We turned the water down coming from the tank to the skimmer. That means we had to turn the pump down too. Turned the skimmer back on, and it foamed so bad, it literally covered the whole top of the sump and the refugium. I have it off again. I'm still getting air bubbles in the tank. They are all over the rocks. What else can I do ? This is getting to be a big headache....

Gosh I'm sorry Sunshine. I wish I knew what was going on. I hope it works itself out sooner rather than later. Hang in there. Maybe someone will finally have a suggestion that will work.

It seems like there's gotta be something in the water causing it. Have you done a large water change?

Last edited:
Not a large one. Just a 20%. Will do another one this weekend. It's really weird, didn't do anything to it, didn't add anything to it, just woke up one day to a sump full of foam and air bubbles in the tank.

Back