Water is too HOT!

That's a good idea. Let me go to Home Depot tomorrow and get one to replace my normal wall socket to a GFCI one. Thanks.

Oh man. Take that glass lid off your tank. What does your pH usually run?

What's the relations between the pH and light? Since you asked, there must be something there. Still learning things. Sorry if it may sound n00bish. :D

We have a Walmart around. I'll check it out later.

In the meantime, I use a 12" Vornado fan sitting about 8 feet away blowing towards the light fixture/top of the tank. Wow! What a big different! Dropped 4 F in just an hour! I think I have to plug my heater back on just in case it drops further.

fish-bigfan.jpg

Last edited:
can you set that fan up higher so it blows on the water? my tank runs about 79 to 80. day and night with the fans blowing on the water.

Actually, the fan is sitting on a bar stool. Can't get any higher. Since I was afraid that it would drop the temperature even lower, I already turn down the fan to about 30% speed. It think it is good enough for now.

Thank you! :)

I still need to buy a clip on fan though. I'm sure my wife is not gonna like having that big Vornado fan permanently sitting there. :D

We have a pretty bad rain fall today. Very humid and quite hot in the room. The fan trick didn't help too much. This morning when I got up, the water temperature was 82F!!!! (I had my fan turn to low at night since I've noticed that if I leave it on mid like during the day, the water temperature would swing too much.)

I then turn my fan to max blasting the top of the tank the whole day. Managed to keep the temperature not to increase more, and just hanging around 82F while I was preparing the pumping for a chiller...

I would suggest you invest in a Ranco 2 stage temp controller. It will turn your fans on when it reaches a set temp and will also control your heater. I have a total of 925w over my tank, including 525w of MH lighting, all inside a canopy and my fans keep my temps at 80-81. With your type of lighting, there should be no need for a chiller...unless of course you want to get 1. :)

Thanks! I guess I can try to use my old X10 Home commander to control the fan on/off since it has a temperature sensor on it.

I have a total of 656W over my tanks as well, of which, 300W are MH. In such small (relatively speaking) water surface, the water get hot quite fast. The worse is that it has only 2.2" clearance between the light and the tank. None of the clip on fans works. I was going to hook up 4 of those 50mm server ventilation fans on the edge of the tank, but after I hook them up, they are way too loud. Sounds like I have a rank mount 1U server sitting there...

Anyway you can raise the light a few inches?
When I had my light setting on the legs,my water got fairly warm.So I hing the light 4" above the tank,and no more heat issues,except for the wife fussing about the bedroom being too hot.

Back