Waiting for my tank to cycle (stock question)

Jkraft136

Reefing newb
Well still waiting for my tank to finish cycling. Been reading over what to stock my tank with after its done cycling. I'm Looking at a cleaner crew first since my skimmer won't be here til late next month. I've head alot about Nassarius Snails. How are they as a cleaning crew? How many should i get for my 75g? What are some other good cleaners that will work with Porcupine Puffer? I'm thinking only snails and maybe some starfish because i think he would eat the shrimps :P

Well, there really aren't any cleaners that are safe with the puffer. They are known to eat cleaners of all types, even stars. Nassarius snails are very important, and very good cleaners. They come in different sizes though, so if you get the small ones (like the size of peas), you could safely get 30 to 40 in a tank your size. For the bigger ones (like the size of grapes), maybe a dozen or so.

Ok thanks. I Currently have one snail that was bought when i got the puffer and they seem to live in harmony, Now the puffer is only maybe 2 inches long if that. Any good places to get some Nassarius Snails?

Are you set on getting the puffer?
Some quick facts on a porcupine puffer (diodon holocanthus).
Size: Up to 40 inches
Reef Compatible: No
Tank Conditions: 72-78ºF
Minimum Tank Capacity: 150 gallon
"....A 150 gallon or larger, fish-only aquarium with a good protein skimmer is a suitable home. It may be aggressive at times, nipping the fins of tank mates and leaving a circular hole as its mark. It will eat invertebrates found in a reef aquarium. It has the ability, when threatened or scared, to inflate its body to almost twice its normal size."

puffers almost made me quit this hobby. I had the worst luck and kept convincing myself I figured out what I was doing wrong. I love the porcupine and the spiny box fish but learned the hard way, they belong in the oceans. I wish you luck.

Back