Used Sump Pump(s) Shutting off In Water

timbotango

Reefing newb
I am restarting a 75 gallon tank with a sump. I have two pumps. Both haven't been used in sometime, but both were used before without issue. One is a series 3 the other is a series 7 (pondmaster?). I want to of course use the series 7, but the pump kicks off when put into water. It makes noise when not in water. I took it apart and cleaned it, but still same problem makes noise, then kicks off (blowing the circuit the 2nd time).

Now is the pump no good? Do I just need to buy a new impeller? Do I need silcone to help the impeller magnet spin better?

I would like to fix the pump of course if possiable, I just don't want to waste money on parts if its not worth it.

Thanks
Tim

I would soak the thing in a vinegar solution over night to break up any calcium deposits that might be on it. The impeller might be hanging up and causing it not to work.

I also would advise against running water pumps dry. They are designed to pump water and over heat very quickly if they arent.

Brian

+1 Brian

Sounds like it's definitely a motor/impeller problem: that noise you mention, is it like a deep buzzing noise? If it is, then something that wants to move, can't.

Back