Toxixity Of Cyano

Probably cheaper and easier than buying a new type of filter -- you can buy a bottle of SeaChem Prime at the pet store and add it to your RODI water. That will neutralize any chlorine and chloramine in the water. In fact, any of the tap water conditioners will get rid of chlorine and chloramine.

Hmm, that's odd - I never heard of a water conditioner that removes ammonia, just chlorine is all they normally remove, leaving the ammonia from the chloramine . Evidently the Tetra brand does not remove ammonia, as I just tried it and the ammonia level in the sample is still at 1 mg/l.....

They usually don't remove ammonia... Chlorine and chloramine is what I said. ;)

You can buy an emergency additive like Amquel that will remove ammonia, but I wouldn't use that unless it's an emergency. It can have some bad side effects.

Forgive me since I haven't read the whole thread, but how many test kits have you used to test the ammonia? Bad test kits are very common (especially the dip strips) and they do expire after a while. If I were you, I'd buy a new liquid drop test kit and re-test. If you are using test strips, toss them out and get a liquid one instead.

They usually don't remove ammonia... Chlorine and chloramine is what I said. ;)

You can buy an emergency additive like Amquel that will remove ammonia, but I wouldn't use that unless it's an emergency. It can have some bad side effects.

Forgive me since I haven't read the whole thread, but how many test kits have you used to test the ammonia? Bad test kits are very common (especially the dip strips) and they do expire after a while. If I were you, I'd buy a new liquid drop test kit and re-test. If you are using test strips, toss them out and get a liquid one instead.

I tried the strips and did not like them; the liquid reagent kits I usually use are much better (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals). I do not like adding any chemicals other than trace elements & buffers to my water, even conditioners, so I have ordered newer type prefilters for my RO unit which my vendor guarantees will remove ammonia from the tap water.

Back