Too much light?

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I'm going to start my 14 gallon tank. Already got the live sand, rock and took a large cup of sand from my 75 and put it in there also. I want to make it a small reef tank. I plan on one clown and a tank full of corals. I'm looking at this metal halide for lighting: Odyssea Metal Halide Pendant

That equals out to over 12 watts per gallon.

Would this be too much light for the tank or would it be just what I want?

Also, read that some don't even use skimmers for a tank this small. Should I get one or will a tank full of live rock and a good cuc do the job?

I don't use a skimmer on my 27g.

Yes thats way too much light I believe I asked the same thing when I was looking.

I went with t5s and I love them

I don't know how wide the tank is but I went with the 24in and my tank is only 18 wide because you get more color variety for bulbs. If you just like white or blue then the 20 is good.

The tank is 20 1/4" end to end on the top so I may go with the 20" as it has legs for anything longer. My 48" light I just got is actually 47 1/2" long so I figure the 20" light will be about 19 1/2" long. I would have to pull out the legs just a bit so it should be good.

Doesn't a 24" light hang over way too much on an 18"?

Now I'm woried, I am setting up a 55 and have a 48" 760 watt Odessea (2-250mh & 4-65 actinic) which puts me at 13.81 watts per gallon. Do I have too much light???

There IS a such thing ass too much light ! I have pur corals I loved 6 inches under a MH bulb and then watch the coral slowly melt.

The tank is 20 1/4" end to end on the top so I may go with the 20" as it has legs for anything longer. My 48" light I just got is actually 47 1/2" long so I figure the 20" light will be about 19 1/2" long. I would have to pull out the legs just a bit so it should be good.

Doesn't a 24" light hang over way too much on an 18"?

I was worried about that also but here is a picture of how it looks on my 18" tank, you cant even tell, so I am sure it would look perfect on yours

5515525693_ef7f36d039_b.jpg

Back