Tanks....Again

I think that light will be great for either tank. You shouldn't have to worrie about not having enough light at all.

I like the TX5 over the Tek 4 and 6 bulb fixture.The Tek doesn't have cooling fans.The 8 bulb Tek is overkill for a 40-50g but the choice is up to you.Its a very wide fixture(front to back).

Don't think of T5's by wattage.They have twice the PAR(usable light) as PC's.Consider a TX5(195w) comparable to 390 watts of PC.Add in individual reflectors and it increases even more.Plus with IR they penetrate the water better.

I like the TX5 over the Tek 4 and 6 bulb fixture.The Tek doesn't have cooling fans.The 8 bulb Tek is overkill for a 40-50g but the choice is up to you.Its a very wide fixture(front to back).

Don't think of T5's by wattage.They have twice the PAR(usable light) as PC's.Consider a TX5(195w) comparable to 390 watts of PC.Add in individual reflectors and it increases even more.Plus with IR they penetrate the water better.

would I need fans though since they are T-5s? Yea I really like the 4 and 6 bulb ones too

You will most likely will not need cooling fans with the Tek fixture.It will not run as efficiently as the TX5.The cooler the bulbs the more efficient/PAR you will get.Thats why I like the Aquactinics better because it has cooling fans built in.I can't really pick out bulbs for you.There's to many choices and what look I like may not necessarily be what you like.I would at least go with one GE6500k bulb and stick mainly with ATI bulbs.Reefgeek.com is where I got my bulbs.They are better at giving bulb recommendations than I would.

they have alot more wattage though than the aquatinics and cheaper

36" Tek Light: 6-39W T5 High-Output Fixture with Bulbs $429.95

so I wouldn't need fans for the Tek though?

or I can go with this and buy bubs- alot more wattage

glot4
Teklight T5 Lighting Fixture
Size: 36"L x 15"W x 2.5"H
Lamps: 6
Watts: 54
Weight: 30 lb $334.00

If you could just give me a general watts per gallon number that you think would work for all corals that would be great. I am talking about with the Tek or Aquatinics

Last edited:
You must of mistype or that website gave you an incorrect wattage.
36'' bulbs are 39 watts not 54.48'' bulbs are 54w.

The 6 bulb tek will be comparable to a TX5.

Any good aquariums that anyone can recommend in the 40-55 gallon range?

I'm looking for something with a sump, or if you can show me where I can get the stuff to set up my own

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back