Tanks....Again

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
Where could I find a nice 40 or 50 gallon tank for not too much? (if I don't go with the M-Tank)

My only problem with getting the M-Tank is that I really want a 40-50 gallon tank but I don't know exactly what to get.

need 36" long or under

Also recommend halides and T-5s

I'm just making sure I do my research

Last edited:
I would only get halides if your tank is atleast 18inches wide or wider. I just added one to my tank and at first thought it gave more light but the corals are saying other wise by spreading all out. I did a thread on RC and they say halides on a long skinny tank like my 30 are not any good and to go for the t-5 in that case.

For the tank I would check craigslist or if you want it new check glasscages.com or wait for petco to have their buck a gallon sale.

Check your local Petsmart and Petco for tanks.They seem to be reasonable when looking for new tanks.Its Christmas time,maybe your LFS may have a deal.I would check with your LFS on an all-in-one Oceanic system(tank,stand,sump,lights).They do sell 40-50g. range.

Try your local classifies and Craigslist for use equipment.

io.gif

They don't sell Oceanic online.you can go to their website to check what fish store is in your area that sells them.

I prefer T5 over MH for that size tank.Look into the Aquactinics and Tek fixture at Premium Aquatics.

They don't sell Oceanic online.you can go to their website to check what fish store is in your area that sells them.

I prefer T5 over MH for that size tank.Look into the Aquactinics and Tek fixture at Premium Aquatics.

So what watt bulbs can you fit in the aquactinics 36" fixture?

ok so with the T-5 with individual reflectors how many watts per gallon equals 6 watts per gallon of other lighting say when refering to PC or Halide?

I can't say for sure. t-5 has soo much more light per watt than other lights. I do know that a guy on rc kept a 3 foot long 47 gal I think with only 4 39watt t5s and he kept sps and clams with no prob at all, so I would say 5 -39watt t-5s will do you good, for anything you would want to keep.

Where are you getting the 5 bulb t5? I have only seen 4 and 6 bulb fixtures.

I can't say for sure. t-5 has soo much more light per watt than other lights. I do know that a guy on rc kept a 3 foot long 47 gal I think with only 4 39watt t5s and he kept sps and clams with no prob at all, so I would say 5 -39watt t-5s will do you good, for anything you would want to keep.

Where are you getting the 5 bulb t5? I have only seen 4 and 6 bulb fixtures.

So can you give me a general rule with the individual reflectors T-5 of what I would need because I'm looking at alot of different gallon sized tanks.

Premium aquatics

TX5 Series Aquactinics 36" 5 lamp T5 fixture - no lamps: Premium Aquatics

Just pick a fixture that will your tank length wise.
If you get one with individual reflectors,thats great,if not,get the most bulbs that will fit.
I know Biff had 216 watts of T-5 on her 55gal and kept a lot of light loving corals with no problems.

I dont know what goes per tank size. I just know what I have seen and read on them. I knew a guy in saint louis that had a 55 with 4 54 watt t5s and kept all kinds of stuff including a clam and anemones.

Back