Tanked's 125 build thread

I wanted the hanging kit when I bought the lights, but the LFS said (after I already paid for the lights) that marineland hadn't made the kit. I bought it on the internet the other day, though, so hopefully I can get them hung next week.

Why didn't the ceiling joists work? and what kind of brackets did you use?

Where I needed the hangers,was between the joists and theres no way to get into the actic space above the tank.So I went Lowes and got 4 of those heavy duty shelving brackets and a 2X12 and hung a shelf above the tank.Then I hung the lights from the shelf.
It also gave me a good place to keep my suppliments and stuff so I have more room under my stand.

personally if the o-ring is leaking, i'd replace the oring, harbor freight sells oring kits for like $10 and theres something like 200+ orings in the red boxed kit. I use them for my bulkheads, cause the seals that they sent me with my bulkheads were crap.

well that would seriously suck, since all my plumbing n stuff is already glued in. To replace that O-ring, I'd have to use a hack saw to tear it apart, then re-plumb the drain lines entirely.

But on the good news side of things, the salt creep that built up over the last couple days has evidently stopped the leak. :D Like I said, it was a real slow leak in the first place, and apparently given enough time, it can fix itself.

On the downside, my lights still suck and I still hate marineland lights.

To replace that O-ring, I'd have to use a hack saw to tear it apart, .

nope, no you wouldnt...

loosen the jamb nut so that the bulkhead can slide inside the tank a bit(still attached to the plumbing) maybe an inch? take a razor blade and cut the old seal off, and then you can put the new oring on from the inside, just think about the motion you would use to put a trash bag in a can that was almost too big for the bag, that around the edges almost stretching and following the perimeter all the way around kinda motion...
bingo, new oring, and no hacksaw.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2901

Ok, Marineland sent a tech out to look at my useless lights. He determined (because I told him so) that the screw holes weren't centered in the covering, and the screw, therefore, won't go in. so he took them to his shop and "re-tapped" the screw holes so they line up properly. Now the hanging kit does fit into the lights.

Next problem. The hanging kit at its shortest allowed length measures 49" from the TOP of the lights to the loop they're supposed to hang from. Add a couple more inches for the width of the light, and that's the height the lights have to hang at. Guess what? My ceiling is 45.5" from the top of my tank. :frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::HELP!:

So, there's a metal crimp tying the two cables together which prevents me from sliding the cables up (shorter) anymore. Can I cut that off? And if so, how/with what? There's no seam in the crimp, so I don't know how to get it off.

Or, does anyone else have any idea what to do about this?

wrap the wire around (through) something like a short piece of pvc, that would be strong enough, and cant slip...

i'll try and draw a picture...

then all you have to do is adjust the number of times you go through the pvc, and that makes your adjustment... the shorter the length of pvc, the more turns it will take to shorten the cable by the 10 inches or whatever it is that you need...

Attachments

• shorten your cable.webp
    shorten your cable.webp
    1.9 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Back