Tankedchemist -- pico contest

I haven't added a heater. I was going to bring a thermometer into work while it's cycling to gauge how the temperature swings for the next week or so. Is anyone else using heaters?

I put a heater in mine last night. The dwarfs like it pretty warm and I've got my tank next to a window which will be getting very, very cold in the next month. I got the little Tetra heater from WalMart which works great once I put the lid on :grumble:.

C

pico-starfish-nov-11.jpg

found this guy just now, and couldn't resist snapping a pic. there are at least 3 or 4 other starfish sharing that rock, all less than the size of a nickel.

Tanked, did you get a 0 ammonia reading already? Didn't you say you had cyano going in this tank? You're already adding corals? What about your cycle? Your tank hasn't been set up long enough to fill it with corals? You and Biff are going against everything I've read about how to set up a tank, I don't understand? It looks fabulous but is it healthy?

C

Corals don't count towards the bioload of the tank! Corals produce a negligible (if any) amount of waste! Easy softies and LPS corals are more tolerant of water parameters and swings than fish! You can add corals to the tank as soon as it cycles!

the rocks and sand from this tank are from my big tank, which was fully "re-cycled" 3 days after I moved it in mid-August. The rocks and sand were only exposed to air for the length of time it took to walk about 15 feet. My original plan of using leftover (ie, I didn't fit it back into the tank yet) rock didn't pan out because the only leftover rock I had was a ginormous slab, which clearly wouldn't fit. I cycled it the same day I filled it by putting a bunch of fish food in there, and only saw a modest (.25) ammonia spike, which was gone by day 2. I never really had measurable nitrites or nitrates in this cycle, probably because it was over so fast (~1-2 days). I tested all nitrogen levels at 0 9 days ago, so I figure it's fine to add stuff. Plus, corals don't produce nearly as much nitrogenous waste as a fish does, sooo....& I don't even know if I'm going to add a fish to this tank at this point, so I feel it's just fine to add corals.

oh, and about the cyano, this ank has had less problem with it than my big one because the flow is more directly pointed at the sand. So although I get small patches, it doesn't stick around long. The cyano came from the big tank, where I've always had problems with it, from the minute I set the big tank up a year ago. Nothing has remedied it, and I've tried everything except chemical treatment. So I'm afraid until I bite the bullet and use chemical warfare, I will always have cyano-- in both my tanks. at least in the pico it's easy to yank it out when I see a patch growing.

Last edited:
Tanked,

I had a rough time with the cyano after my tank crashed last summer. It sux! I tried the chemical stuff and it didn't work well for me I hope you have better luck with it. I would love to hear how it works for you.

I bow to your superior scientific knowledge,
C

I too had a major outbreak during my recycling of my Zero Edge. I had never had it before in that tank and it covered almost every rock and even the substrate. It was awful. I tried to keep it blown off the surfaces with a turkey baster but it would just come back. Finally it has subsided.

Interesting. The cyano in my tank didn't ever really get that crazy... it's just been a constant low level amount, mostly on the sand. I kind of wish it would just take over then go away, if that's the way to make it disappear forever.

C, which chemical did you use? Someone on the forum said they had used chemi clean with success. I'm nervous to use chemicals (I know, ironic right?) to treat these kinds of problems, but when all else fails...

Amanda, you are lucky that it didn't get too bad. In my 90, I only get cyano growing on the tops of my powerheads (not coincidentally, probably the only spots in my tank where I get zero flow). When it's isolated like that, you are right, it is easy enough just to suck it out with a turkey baster.

ChemiClean can be hit or miss. Overall, it does seem to work great. But a lot of people claim there were casualties in their tanks after using it, even though it claims to be reef safe. Also, it seems to come back again after people use it, so it's not a permanent fix, but is probably a good option to look at if your tank has been taken over. Cyano can eventually kill corals too, so there's a trade off.

I used ChemiClean. The package says that you need to be sure to do a water change right after because it can mess around with oxygen levels. I just kept pulling it out and pulling it out every time it popped up and tried like crazy to keep all my numbers perfect. I still have a bit of trouble with it but nothing at all like it was. It's really horrid stuff.

Leroy at GARF has a couple snails he says eats the red and green slime, maybe you could talk to him and do it that way if you case isn't that horrible?

hahahahaha, a chemist that doesn't want to use chemicals!

C

hahahahaha, a chemist that doesn't want to use chemicals!

C

Irony is my muse. And the chemicals stay at work! Seriously, though, I'm a biochemist for a reason... I believe nature does chemistry way better than we can ever manage, so I'd prefer my tank to have a more natural way of fixing the problem. Unfortunately, the parameters in our tanks aren't natural-- no matter how hard we try-- so I may just have to resort to chemicals.

I've seen lots of different places that claim to have cyano eating snails, and I've tried a few varieties that are said to eat it. I've seen some snails plow through it, but I have yet to see one actually eating the cyano. But I'll check GARF out and see if they've got a species I haven't tried yet. you never know!

I have normal algae growing in the tank, so I got a little tiny CUC. 1 cerith, 1 nerite, 1 astrea, and 5 nass snails.... the nass snails are smaller than a pencil eraser! the rest are under 1/2"... I've never seen snails so tiny. Also got a multicolor ricordia and a flame scallop, and got a catalina goby, sexy shrimp, and TIIIIIINY pepp shrimp on hold at the LFS. this little tank is so fascinating....

Back