Tank temp problem

VAreef

Reefing newb
Is it a big deal that my tank is getting up to 81-82F on warm days? I have a skylight in the tank room which I'm thinking of putting some kind shade on. I also just put a fan in the tank room as well directed at the sump. I was planning on enclosing the sump in though but may wait on that now. It also probably doesn't help that I'm cold natured and keep my house around 77-78F. I was thinking I could live with it if I lowered that to 76F.

Although if 81-82F isn't to worry about I guess I'm good. I've just always been told 72-78F for a tank.

Not to worry. As long as it's consistently in the low 80s. Temp swings are more dangerous to your tank than consistently high or low temps. My tank stays around 80 to 82 year round.

I'd try to limit those swings.More than a 2 or 3 degree swing puts a lot of stress on corals and inverts.
A couple of cheap clamp on fans will do the trick.

When you figure out what your highest day time temp is (with a fan), set your heater at one or two degrees lower to stabilize the overnight temp swing.

Hopefully this fan helps. It doesn't help that I have to keep the doors shut during the day to ensure nothing gets eatin or chewed when I'm gone. I think I may pin up a cloth over the skylight tonight too and see if that makes a differance.

So basically I need to get the differance in temps down not nessecarily the high temp.

Back