Tank support question

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I'm ready to fill my 10g tank and want to do it tonight, but the table I have the tank on is small and the tank hangs over by about an inch on each side. Will the tank be okay temporarily until I get a larger table to put it on, or will filling it put too much stress on the glass? I can go to home depot tomorrow and get a piece of wood to put over the table so that the whole tank is supported, but would hate to come home from work and find water and sand on my floor! Do you think it will be okay filled for a day without full support?

It should be ok, but it'll make more sense to just wait until tomorrow so that you won't have to fill the tank twice, or move it with water in it.

You're absolutely right Smitty! I'm just concerned that my snails and live rock that have been sitting in a bucket for the past day aren't going to be getting enough oxygen in the water. I have a heater in there, but no flow - the HOB filter that came with the tank doesn't fit over the rim of the bucket and my powerheads don't arrive until sometime next week. I keep stirring the water every few hours, but not overnight and won't during the day tomorrow since I'll be at work. I'm also just tired of having buckets in the middle of my kitchen (and so is my roommate!) and desperately need to clean it up!

I'm with Smitty on this one. Just wait one more day. The live rock will be fine an I beloved the snails will be OK. The animals get shipped around the world and are sealed in bags for a few days.

Oh, you guys are so sensible! See, this is why I come here and ask questions first! You've convinced me, I'll go ahead and wait until tomorrow ;)

And, on that note, will the tank be okay for a few months if I put a piece of wood over the table to support the whole tank, until I can get an end table that is actually big enough to support it on it's own?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I found a nice piece of stained wood at home depot today and waited to fill my tank until it was in place.... and now my tank is filled!!! I'm very excited :D

Back