Tank cycling

sperryx91

Reefing newb
Hey, my tank has been cycling for about 2.5 weeks. I noticed a few days ago that there was a heavy outbreak of diatoms, im guessing? Its brown, and covers spots on my sand, and on my live rock. I started out with pre mixed RO Salt water from my LFS, and have topped it off with, reg. RO water also from LFS due to evaporation. My questions are, how long does this last? are there ways to get rid of this brown algae? or is it just a waiting game? Also what is the best sign to tell weather the nitrogen cycle is complete for a FOWLR tank? If i want to add corals, what are the best conditions to keep them. Thanks alot

When you no longer have ammonia or nitrites your cycle is over, this applies to both FOWLR and reef.

The algae are seeing are diatoms and they are common in new tanks, they should go away on their own once all the silicates in the rocks are used up.

If you want to keep corals, you need to keeping your nitrates at zero, and if you wish to keep stony corals, you calcium, magnesium and alkalinity also need to be at the proper level. They also need the correct light levels.

Back