T5 Lighting for a 75 gal

Dantitan

Reefing newb
I was just wondering if a T5 4x54watt lighting system would be good enough for a 75 gal reef. I do plan on having corals in the future too. I found some decent prices for these types of hoods on ebay, and was wanting to get the right ones before I order.

The lights that I am looking at come with:
4 - 54 Watt bulbs - (2) 6,700K daylight and (2) 03 true actinics and
4-dual LED Moonlights (8 total LED's) for night time viewing

Probably not enough. If they have individual reflectors, then maybe. But if they don't advertise that they have individual reflectors, they probably don't have them.

If you buy used, yes. Otherwise it'd be pretty tough I think.

The ones you linked to would probably be fine for lower light corals in a 75. But I tried a 4-bulb T5 fixture over my 90 and couldn't even keep the lowest light corals alive under it. What do you want to keep in your tank?

As far as corals go, I like bubble coral, "flower pots", or xenias maybe. Not really put a whole lot of thought into specifics just yet. I want to get my tank WELL established first. But definately soft corals for the most part.

IMO,you should have enough light for soft and LPS corals.Enough for the corals you listed.I would stay away from clams,anemones and SPS corals.

They are classifications of corals

Large Polyp Stoney
Small Polyp Stoney

The large polyps are the meaty looking ones that flow in the current

The small polyp ones are the ones that look like colorful fury sticks

Go on ebay and look up this guys shop. Topdogsellers. He sells MH lights 48" 250w with ballasts and 6 LEDs for like $300....

I'm sorry, I don't know what SPS and LPS stand for yet. :lol:

Sorry,BJ covered what they abbreviation stand for.Generally,LPS corals don't need as much light as SPS corals so if you decide to go with those lights there are still many corals that can be kept with them,not all but many.

Thanks for the info guys. I believe I am going to wait and save up enough money for the lights that I need. Is just a regular aquarium light hood good enough for fish and inverts to start off with?

Yeah, you can use any lights you want for fish and non-photosynthetic inverts. I think you have the right idea -- you can enjoy fish and inverts while you save up for new lights. By that time, your tank should be ready for corals.

I set up the tank today with equipment, substrate, water and base rock. I will post some pics on here soon to get everyone's opinion. Lovin' the info from every body :smile:

Back