Sunpod MH and GFCI

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
The instructions for my new Sunpod have warned me to only plug it into a GFCI outlet. What is the danger of plugging it into a non-GFCI outlet?

Also, anyone had the Sunpod? Happy with it? Corals do well with it? I've been told it works much better with a 14K Phoenix bulb as opposed to the stock bulb.

There is a high amp draw when it first starts which will trip the GFI. The harm would be electrocution if it were to fall into the water so make sure it's mounted securely.

I love my Phoenix 14Ks.
The stock bulbs usually have a yellow tent that just dont do much for colors.

It's a good idea to use gfci on anything plugged in near water. It doesn't protect the device that falls into the water (its toast either way) but it protects anything in the water, and prevents an electrical fire. it's the difference between an electrical explosion when the hair dryer falls into the bath tub vs. simply pushing the reset button to reactivate the outlet. You can get one at lowes for $15 and install it in place of your existing outlet provided that your existing outlet is grounded. (you can tell by whether it just has two slots = no ground, or two slots with a round hole below=grounded) get help with this if you have no electrical experience.

Back