Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Should we make it a sticky

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cathic

Fish Wrangler
>>>This is an Incomplete reference that will be updated daily.<<<

So your new to the reefing hobby and ready to get going and set up your tank, right? STOP! Let's make sure you have everything you need and are prepared for the task ahead.

Lets talk about the type of aquarium you are setting up, the reef aquarium - generally consists of all the animals you would find on a living reef, from fish to invertebrates (even corals) they are all included and all have special needs. We will start with the basics which include:

*Tank Size
-How big do you want your tank to be?
-What kind of animals do you want to keep?

*Lighting
-What lighting is right for me?
-T5 High Output
-Metal Halide
-Light Emitting Diode (LED)
-Other Methods and Misc.

*Filtration
-What kind of filtering will I need?
-Liverock and Livesand
-Protein Skimmer, Algae Scrubber
-Sump Systems

*Water
-What is good quality water?
-The Dangers of Tap Water
-What Salt is best for my reef?
-Water Circulation and Powerheads

Tank Size: The size of your tank will determine several things, from the amount of livestock you can keep to the type of lighting you will need and will most definitely affect your cost.

So the question is, what tank size is right for you? For the beginning reefer I would recommend a 30 gallon or lager tank. Smaller tanks require much more detailed monitoring to ensure stable environments and are not recommended for new hobbyist. Some good sizes for the beginning hobbyist are 28-29 gallon all in one setups (we will talk about these later) 30 gallon 55 gallon and 75 gallon tanks. The largest aquarium you can afford while staying in budget is recommended for a healthy reef.

Tank Size also affects what fish you can keep and the amount of fish you can keep. Generally you are allowed 1 inch of fish per 10 gallons, a good rule to follow when first starting. Certain fish have special needs for tank sizes, a good example would be the yellow tang, which requires 4 feet of swimming space horizontally (55 gallon or larger tank).

Knowing the needs of the fish you would like to keep will be a main concern when selecting a tank.

Lighting: Lighting is very important to a reef aquarium and the lights you choose will determine what corals and other inverts you can keep. Choose the wrong lighting and you could limit yourself to only a few corals, or end up with corals that you can't take care of. There are 2 main types of lighting being used widely in the reefing hobby, T5 High Output and Metal Halide. There are also other emerging forms of lighting such as LED and some that are on their way out like Power Compacts, we will discuss those later in this section.

-T5 High Output lighting is very affordable lighting that can provide you and your reef everything you need without breaking the bank. They generally come in multiple bulb fixtures ranging from 2 bulbs to 8 bulbs and larger. One plus side to T5's is the ability to mix bulb colors to achieve a certain color in your tank. T5's also provide all the lighting needs for corals and other inverts (4 bulbs or more depending on size of tank).

With a large selection of bulbs and affordable prices T5's are a good choice for beginners. --- Will update later, am tired.

Last edited:
Vary nice +1 this will be a great help due to some people like my self working them selfs out of the stone age of saltwater tank setups. But not so much any more. New filtration (thanks Biff) working on getting new lights to mod with my Luna setup. Things like this really help out a lot and should be pined in place so they are not lost in the section this thread is posted. Things like this are like scrolls of knowledge.They should be ready at hand for the newb on to the vet wanting to check something they may have become fuzzy on. That's just my :twocents: on it:Cheers:

Water: What is good quality water? A question most new hobbyist never even think to ask themselves, and why would they when tap water is perfectly acceptable for you and me. There is no reason to look further right? The answer lies in tap water itself, which is full of Dissolved Solids, things which are added to water during treatment or picked up through the pipes that are run through homes. These solids impact the quality of your reef water and can even encourage the growth of bad algae and other bad microorganisms in your tank.

So what is good quality water to use in your reef environment?

The recommended water is Reverse Osmosis DeIonized water. The filter system that produces this type of water (commonly referred to as RO/DI water) may be purchased for prices as low as $100 to well over $250. The system should generally have at least 4 stages and achieve 96%-100% rejection rate of TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) for its rated GPD (Gallons per Day). When selecting a RO/DI unit it is wise to look at one which makes at least 100-150GPD or you may find yourself waiting to fill your tank or in trouble when you need water for an emergency.

Places to find good RO/DI systems include:

P U R E W A T E R C L U B
The Filter Guys
FilterDirect.com Whole House Water Filters, Water Booster Pump Choices

Now that we know what water to use let us look at what salt is best to use for your reef.

There are several different brands on the market right now and for the most part all of them are acceptable to use, generally the reef hobbyist looks for a salt that will provide the recommended amounts of important substances such as Magnesium and Calcium, these are crucial to most corals and inverts that live in our tanks. When choosing a brand look for a reputable name that will ensure around 420 parts per million (ppm) of magnesium in your water and around 1200ppm of magnesium. A few brands to look at would include:

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
Red Sea Coral Pro
Oceanic Natural Sea Salt
Tropic Marin Sea Salt
H2Ocean Salts

There are of course other brands some more expensive some less expensive, I would suggest experimenting with different brands to find one that you like and that fits your requirements.

Now that we have discussed water and salt for the water, let us discuss water circulation. Water circulation is a main concern for your reef aquarium, some corals and inverts need high flow and others need little flow. Flow is also beneficial in keeping your water properly oxygenated and allowing your protein skimmer to remove more dissolved proteins by keeping them suspended in your water column.

So how much water flow do I need?

A good rule to follow when determining how much flow you will need in your tank is to take your tank size and multiply it by 25. So 75 gallon tank would need enough powerheads to circulate the water at a rate of 1875GPH. The best method would not be to buy 1 or 2 powerheads since this will leave you with dead spots or weak flow in some areas, instead a better idea would be to buy 3 Powerheads and position them around the tank to give you even circulation across your reef. The amount of powerheads and size of the powerheads will be determined by your tank size and your individual needs, some tanks require only 1 or 2 while others can require as many as 6 or more. This method is really a rough idea of what flow your tank may require, when buying powerheads to create flow it is best to cycle your tank a minimum of 25 times an hour to keep your reef healthy.

Good powerheads to use that will create a current that will fulfill your tanks needs would be:

Hydor Koralia Pumps
Aqueon Circulation Pumps

There are several others as well and these two are just used as an example of what to look for when buying powerheads.

Last edited:
Water: What is good quality water? A question most new hobbyist never even think to ask themselves, and why would they when tap water is perfectly acceptable for you and me. There is no reason to look further right? The answer lies in tap water itself, which is full of Dissolved Solids, things which are added to water during treatment or picked up through the pipes that are run through homes. These solids impact the quality of your reef water and can even encourage the growth of bad algae and other bad microorganisms in your tank.

So what is good quality water to use in your reef environment?

The recommended water is Reverse Osmosis DeIonized water. The filter system that produces this type of water (commonly referred to as RO/DI water) may be purchased for prices as low as $100 to well over $250. The system should generally have at least 4 stages and achieve 96%-100% rejection rate of TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) for its rated GPD (Gallons per Day). When selecting a RO/DI unit it is wise to look at one which makes at least 100-150GPD or you may find yourself waiting to fill your tank or in trouble when you need water for an emergency.

Places to find good RO/DI systems include:

P U R E W A T E R C L U B
The Filter Guys
FilterDirect.com Whole House Water Filters, Water Booster Pump Choices

Now that we know what water to use let us look at what salt is best to use for your reef.

There are several different brands on the market right now and for the most part all of them are acceptable to use, generally the reef hobbyist looks for a salt that will provide the recommended amounts of important substances such as Magnesium and Calcium, these are crucial to most corals and inverts that live in our tanks. When choosing a brand look for a reputable name that will ensure around 420 parts per million (ppm) of calcium in your water and around 1200ppm of magnesium. A few brands to look at would include:

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
Red Sea Coral Pro
Oceanic Natural Sea Salt
Tropic Marin Sea Salt
H2Ocean Salts

There are of course other brands some more expensive some less expensive, I would suggest experimenting with different brands to find one that you like and that fits your requirements.

Now that we have discussed water and salt for the water, let us discuss water circulation. Water circulation is a main concern for your reef aquarium, some corals and inverts need high flow and others need little flow. Flow is also beneficial in keeping your water properly oxygenated and allowing your protein skimmer to remove more dissolved proteins by keeping them suspended in your water column.

So how much water flow do I need?

A good rule to follow when determining how much flow you will need in your tank is to take your tank size and multiply it by 25. So 75 gallon tank would need enough powerheads to circulate the water at a rate of 1875GPH. The best method would not be to buy 1 or 2 powerheads since this will leave you with dead spots or weak flow in some areas, instead a better idea would be to buy 3 Powerheads and position them around the tank to give you even circulation across your reef. The amount of powerheads and size of the powerheads will be determined by your tank size and your individual needs, some tanks require only 1 or 2 while others can require as many as 6 or more. This method is really a rough idea of what flow your tank may require, when buying powerheads to create flow it is best to cycle your tank a minimum of 25 times an hour to keep your reef healthy.

Good powerheads to use that will create a current that will fulfill your tanks needs would be:

Hydor Koralia Pumps
Aqueon Circulation Pumps

There are several others as well and these two are just used as an example of what to look for when buying powerheads.

Hi Cathic. I read your Info and they are excellent. I also proofed it like you did and only found one error which I marked in red. Keep up the good work, and I 3rd the sticky.

Cathic, you should see if you can PM the mods with your updates that way they can add them to the first post. Otherwise all of your info is going to get lost in between everyone else's posts.

I know im going to probably rework it all into one compilation anyways. Thanks though, Ill see what Yote wants to do.

Ya, because i wrote quite a bit more that what you have there about water chemistry and stuff. Its like 5 pages and i still have quite a bit more i want to talk about . . .

Perhaps this needs to be an article instead of thread

We'll let y'all decide to make it a sticky or an article.:D
What ever,its a great read and will help folks get started.

Back