Starting new hobby, suggestions/recommendations welcomed

mdeleon1

Reefing newb
I am starting up my 56g column tank and looking to do fish, LR and inverts to start off with. I just added my LR on Friday and waiting patiently for cycling to complete.

Please look at my tank and provide any suggestions/recommendations.

Aquascaping?

Enough powerheads (currently only 1)?

More lighting? T5 Dual lamp

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• tank05.webp
    tank05.webp
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,026
Hey welcome to The forums looks good thus far. I would add more power heads yes.
For the aquascaping I like when the rock work goes to the top of the tank.

-Owen

Remove the marineland filter, and invest into a protein skimmer, you look like you need more rock, and i would suggest adding atleast 1 if not 2 more powerheads to provide enough circulation for a helathy tank, you want to shoot for about 30-40x the amount of water, for a 56 gallon you would want about 2000 gph of circulation. If you dont plan on adding corals your lighting will be fine. However if you plan to add corals in the future you will need more light than what you have. a 4 or 6 bulb T5 setup or a metal halide would do well.

Hi and welcome,

I also have a 56 gallon column tank and am in the process of making it a reef tank. I would suggest the following:

1. Get rid of the power wheel, you will have to clean it very often, the best way to go is to have a sump with return pump, they are by far the best filtering system. If finances allow also get a protein skimmer.

2. I would definitely get at least another 2 lights, it will be very beneficial to have 4 lights instead of 2.

3. I would also get another powerhead.

If your 56 gallon column tank is from Marineland (great tank) you can have the back of it drilled for an overflow, a good LFS will drill them for you, I had mine drilled for $25.

Hello and Welcome!

The guys have it covered! But as a deeper tank you are going to need more than 4 T5 bulbs or go to metal halide lighting to keep more corals.

howdy and welcome to the site.. I agree with little_fish go to metal halide...
I have a 45 column had a 4 bulb t-5 on it.. just wasnt enough..

Yep everyone has said it.

-New lights, (Would go with MH)
-More powerheads (Cant go wrong with Koralia)
-More LR (i suggest looking around on Craigslist or a local reefing club for cheap rock that has no unwanted pests)
-And aquascaping is all up to you, what ever makes you feel brings out the best in your tank!! :p

But looks like you have some good knowledge on SW already, have you put a piece of table shrimp in your tank to help kick start the cycle, and are you testing with liquid instead of strips?

Back