Starting a cycle

well, i did it already and dont have that stuff on hand because it will be a few months before im buying that stuff

So! lets see how this work out

You just need ammonia which you should get from the decaying cooked flesh just as well... plus i've read of people using cooked shrimp so same difference i would think

So you are doing a reef tank in a bucket?You could alway squat over the bucket and pee a little.I'm kidding,LOL,that just seems wrong.I did hear that it works though.Any fishfood will do.

Im pretty sure that peeing in a bucket would not be helpful because the other acids and toxins your kidneys filtered out might kill the bacteria in there, or at least not grow the bacteria we desire. But thanks for the suggestion . . .

Also i threw some flaked freshwater food a few days ago and didn't register anything on some crapy dip test. Which i know suck i just want to use them up and i dont care about level so long as i can see something to show me that it was cycling. So i threw in some tuna just to be safe and if i still dont see anything ill go get some real guns to test my water with. The sand is technically live, so maybe it did process the fish food . . . who know . . . just being safe and killing time

Another question: if im just going to let this bucket sit for few months with no fish in it, should i throw something in there everynow (small something) so that there is something to feed the bacteria cycle in there so the population remains up till i put fish in there?

heres an idea... when your out on a weekend and you get home.. The moment you have to "Break the seal" do it in the tank :) that should jump start your cycle or well at least put in the amonia needed :)........... JK

there actually have been people who start their cycle by peeing in the tank with no negative consequences. o.o weird imo.

i know i did it myself lol... after the cycle started a couple days later i put a bottle of Bio Spira in. i just didnt want to say that i did it and people yell at me for giving out that type of advice lol..

Back