Something is killing my shrimp :(

wcwright

Reefing newb
Something is killing my shrimp L . Hello my name is Casey I just got a 55 gal reef tank from some friend that moved out of town. I use the word reef tank lightly it has 35-40 lbs of live rock and some fish. Plus some almost dead coral. It took almost 2 mouths to get the tank in the good range. The coral came back and the salinity is normal. Sooo I started getting some snails and crabs. All is good then I get a cleaner shrimp. He’s in the tank for 5 hours and drops dead. Hmm I think maybe it was the shrimp just incase I check the water and did a water change. Some more time goes by and the water and the tank and coral are all happy …I think. So I go get a banded coral shrimp. In the tank he goes, looks like he’s having fun. I get up today and he’s deadL . I check the water all is good and the fish ,snails, crabs and coral all seem fine. I am new to this so don’t hate me for killing some shrimp. Any help would be grate I don’t want to kill shrimp.

The tank is 3-4 year old but I move it to my house 3 months ago. As for the shrimp I let them sit in the bag in the water for 1 hr then slowly mix my tank water with the water in the bag

Last edited:
have you ever used any copper in the tank?
you can try drip acclumating the shrimp.
that is just dripping water from your tank into the bag about one drop a second using airline tubing and a little valve. give that a try.

no copper in the tank that i know of i did get the tank from a friend and it took 3 months to get it into the green. can i test for copper? and i will try the drip next time i just feel bad killing shimp and dont want to kill again>

tank could be just to young and yes you can test for copper but everything else is fine so that should not be a problem i just read that you have coral in there to. shrimop are very sensitive to changes in the water.

no i was talking about the copper it will kill inverts and coral in no time. i dont think that the coral is killing the shrimp. i just think that either the tank is still to young since the move or they are just not getting acclimated good enough.

Are you sure they aren't just molting? Shrimp will shed their exoskeleton frequently and the "shell" they leave behind looks just like the real thing.

Sometimes those coral banded shrimp can be extra sensitive. May not have been any one thing you did, but a combination of things effecting it. Sorry about your shrimp.

What exactly is your salinity and what are you using to test it (hydrometer or refractometer) ?
BTW
Welcome to Living Reefs and the hobby.

Anything between 78 and 82.But stability is more important.You can be in either the high range or low,as long as its not swinging anymore than 1 or 2 degrees either way.

Since you as just as far south as I am if your tank is getting too hot you probably don't need to be running a heater right now.

Back