Skimmer help

MaJaCa

Reefing newb
Alright, I got a tank about a week ago and all the stuff I ordered is coming in the mail... along with my new skimmer! (yay)
I was going to supplement the new skimmer with the old one that came with the tank, but its kinda a mystery what I need to do to get the old one back in working order...

Here's some pictures:
1215091523.jpg

1215091523a.jpg

It will be in-sump.

That black nozzle aiming down looks like the intake for the skimmer, where you would connect a line from the pump into that connection. The black thing pointing up looks like where you would connect a hose for the air line, the end of the hose placed above the water level.

The corn cobbed looking piece is more than likely the water outlet. Don't know how it would compare to the skimmers now a days but you could always hook it up, take some pics of it foaming and sell it.

Last edited:
I'd connect your air inlet to the pump intake. Let the impeller beat it up a bit. Plug that nipple that's pointing up.

The higher one is probably the outlet. I'd put a 90 on that one - inside the skimmer - and run a tube down to about 1" from the bottom of the skimmer. That will force the water to flow downward in order to exit the skimmer body. Air goes up - water goes down - less micro bubbles in the tank that way.

I'd connect your air inlet to the pump intake. Let the impeller beat it up a bit. Plug that nipple that's pointing up.

The higher one is probably the outlet. I'd put a 90 on that one - inside the skimmer - and run a tube down to about 1" from the bottom of the skimmer. That will force the water to flow downward in order to exit the skimmer body. Air goes up - water goes down - less micro bubbles in the tank that way.

I get the second part of you post, but as for connecting the air inlet to the pump intake wouldn't that starve the pump of water? I'm confused :grumble:

I get the second part of you post, but as for connecting the air inlet to the pump intake wouldn't that starve the pump of water? I'm confused :grumble:

No. Thats how most pumps are done. The inlet on the pump has a strainer with a nipple right smack in the middle. It sucks in the air right through the pump impellers. You usually install some type of regulating device on the other end of the tube. I like the thumb screw type. Other people like the roller kind - similar to the ones found on a IV bag.

If you unscrew the air inlet thumb screw too much - yes, it will foul the pump - and so much air is coming in that it causes the pump not to pump any water at all - just a thin column of foamed water. There's a sweet spot with each different pump and inlet tube. You just have to play with it for 5 minutes and figure out where it works best.

Too far in - and you won't get enough air bubbles to make the skimmer function properly. The pump moves a lot of water, but it's not skimming

Too far out - and the impeller is fouled. It just burps out a thin column of air, but doesn't really pump any water or fill the skimmer chamber with zillions of micro bubbles. It's just fouled.

When you get it close - all the adjustment is usually within 1/2 turn of the thumb screw. 1/4 turn this way and it's too much air - pumping efficiency suffers dramatically. 1/4 turn that way and there's not enough air to make the skimmer work.

Last edited:
one last question. I tried it out in my sink and there wasn't that much foam being made w/ the tap water... will this increase once it's in the saltwater environment of my tank?

Oh yes!!

Skimmers don't work in freshwater. The saltwater is more dense, so it holds the air bubbles longer. In freshwater, they just rush to the surface and escape.

Back