Skimmer for 29 gallon?

drm180

Reefing newb
I've only been seroiously looking at saltwater tank stuff for a day since I got my tank yesterday and I'm overwhelmed by the things I need and the prices of said things.:frustrat: Someone recomended octopus skimmers on here but I can't find one below 100 gallon. Do they make smaller ones? I've asked a lot of questions so many questions today.

If price is an option as well there was a thread earlier about a Skimmer from Aquatraders.com

The review seemed fairly good and at a cost of only $39 shipped and all I would look into it, I just ordered a few myself...

Okay Cathic. I looked at that one. It says it is for up to 75 gallons. You can't really go too big can you? I don't know much about these things. If you think its good I think I'll order it. That's a great price.

4 inches deep means that it takes only 4 inches from the top of the aquarium right? or it that how deep it is from front to back?

Yeah its not really a bad thing to have one to big, if the water is clean, the skimmer wont pull anything from the water, I'd invest its always able to go to a bigger tank.

Also, to answer the first question, I wish i could find the thread for it, but the reviews from people on here seemed to be positive the pics backed it up, for the price and what you are trying to do I dont think you would find a better middle ground than that, the price is just ridiculous as well. Later on if you decide you need something better or bigger for a different aquarium you will be able to look into something like a High End Octopus

Last edited:
In general, you should get a skimmer rated for twice your tank size. This is ideal. So if your tank is 75 gallons, look into a skimmer rated for a 150 gallon tank, for example.

The Aquatraders skimmer I have is on a 50g system. It's rated for a 75g system.

Thats not the normal rule of thumb though. As Biff pointed out, most people usually get a skimmer rated for twice their system capacity.

For a 29g tank with a sump, I'd go the Aquatraders route again. Especially if money was an issue. The Aquatraders is about $50 with shipping. Best $50 I ever spent in this hobby.

I don't have a sump. I'm still looking around. I found a Prizm Deluxe skimmer but its 105 shipped. If it's worth it i'll buy this instead. I want the best for my money though. If the cheaper one works all the same I'll get it. What do you think? I don't want something that is not that good though and need to trade up.

The Higher model of the one I suggested is only a few dollars more and should handle the job you need, I'd definitely look into these.

I have one of those. I think mine is the smaller version - it's about 14" wide.

They work great. Fill the bottom with sand until it's up to the lower baffle. Makes about 6" of sand. Toss a hunk of cheato in there and a 10w clamp-on light. Got yourself a nice fuge and skimmer.

What kind of skimmer is that? Is it a needle wheel?

What kind of skimmer is that? Is it a needle wheel?

Click the link. It's the Aquatraders HOB refugium with built in skimmer. It doesn't come with a pump. I was running mine with a MJ1200. Works good. Would work much better with a needle wheel pump.

The Aquatraders PS-75 skimmer that I have DID come with a needle wheel pump. That skimmer is kicking ass on my frag system.

Back