Shrimp

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
What rules are there for keeping shrimp in numbers? How many could I theoretically keep in a 180g reef? Thinking I want them all peppermints, cleaners, fire, etc. I must have a pair of HARLEQUINS! I think they are all gorgeous and would like to have a variety thinking like maybe 10-15 would be really nice if its feasible

I have heard that peppermints can be trouble for clams and I think other things. Also I have heard that some fish will eat peppermints. Harlequins are very cool looking as well, but I remember seeing stuff that made me avoid them. I love my skunk cleaner and fire shrimp as much as my fish. The skunk is much more active and out in the open than the fire shrimp, but once it's feeding time they all go crazy. I asked this same question about my 46g and they said up to 5, so I am sure you could get 10, but IMO that would be overkill. I would get no more than 5 total of the bigger ones.

Since shrimp dont really add anything to your bioload,you can have several.
I would stay away from the coral banded though.Those things will eat kill and eat anything they can catch.And they can move almost as fast as fish.

I have five peppermints,one skunk cleaner,one fire shrimp and five sexy shrimp with no problems.I'm not sure of multiple fire shrimps and cleaners though.Your system should be large enough to have more than one each of those two.Harlequins on the other hand feed only on sea stars.That in itself can be messy leading to water quality.You will either need to buy sea stars on a regular basis or set up a separate tank for sea stars.Cut off a leg and feed the shrimp.

I hate stars, so Im gonna need a star tank, quarantine tank, sump tank, display tank(have that) and all my planted crap. Does any one have any idea how to tell your significant other that there is going to be at least 5 aquariums in our new house? Haha

Lol flowers prior might do the trick. Depends tho...there may have to be a week or two's worth of flattering remarks involved. Be prepared for the worst, might as well buy her something nice (that isn't a marine creature >.< ) and butter her up good. Let us know how that goes lol. Good luck!

you can keep as many shrimp together as you like. I had half a dozen skunk cleaners and half a dozen fire shrimp in my 125 for a time, til I went of vacation and the angelfish decided to eat them all - almost. They all got along great. they set up stations for cleaning in your tank - really cool. I currently have three skunk cleaners, two peppermint shrimp and one blood in my 90 reef. no problems

-Doc

Back