Shifting of Aquarium.

mahesh

Young reefer
Hi Friends ,
I have been having a 125 gl tank for the past 6 months. I have Live rock , Sand , Trigger ,Black Tang , Yellow damsel, Blue damsel, 3 spot damsel , Clown and anemoune.

Now my new house which was underconstruction is complete and we are planning to move into the new home in July this year. I'm really concerned about shifting of the aquarium to the new home. There are somany questions in my mind.
1. Can I drop the fish in to the tank on the same day of shifting it?
2. If not, where and how to stock the fish
3. What are the precautions i should take as far as the water quality is concerned?
Can some one help with some advice....

If you are keeping the sand, rocks, and tank, then yes, you can put the fish back in same day, but be sure to have plenty of new saltwater in hand for partial water changes because all the moving will shake the gunk from the sand, causing a mini cycle.

Since you are moving in july, you can very very very slowly stir small parts of the sand once a day to get as much gunk out of the sand now as possible to lessen the gunk. Hopefully you have a skimmer to get it out.

Check levels often after the move!

Hi Fellow reefer,
Thanks for your reply. I have a clarkii clown in my tank which disturbs the sand at least once an hour raising a fountain of sand till the top of the water level in the tank. This may help in removing the gunk (lol) and the skimmer would do the rest. You can see that naughty fellow in my profile pic as well.

Though the disturbing of the sand by the clown is very annoying as it spoils the water clarity....

Last edited:
+1 to little_fish and wontonflip.

I have had to move 2 tanks and i will say its not easy. but there both right. hope everything works out.

Is it possible to achieve good water quality immediately after shifting so that the fish can be added?
I wish to add soft coral to my tank. Can I do it now or wait till I set it up in my new place..

July is still several months away. You can add some corals now if you want. You will have to move them the same way you are moving your fish.

Back