Shes Onboard

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Well after significant discustions My Significant Other is onboard 100%. She has given me permission to put a sump house in the basement, given me a 16 foot wall in our office/study for any upcoming projects(frag tank, all my freshwater stuff) and told me I could put a 55 gal QT on our bar. Woohoo, I sweet talk great.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set up a remote basement sump. Im going to have to build an insulated room as the basement is dirt floor and relatively cold, 65 all year. Im planning on using all moisture resistant drywall(the green stuff) should I paint it or line it with formica. Should I pour a concrete pad or use pavers and sand like an outdoor patio? I dont want to break the bank to build this. Itll probably be a 4x8 sized room.

I'm liking her already.
Pour a 4" concrete slab and seal it.Go a head and put in a floor drain while your at it,just in case.Use the green board to sine the basement is already damp.Adding a sump down there is going to raise the humidity quiet a bit.
I'd install a fresh air vent to.That way your sump will get better outside air which will help keep the PH stable.

I guess someone can blase out the light now and not need a chiller. Remember when you go to putting in your return pump(s) it is often cheaper ipump wise, and definitely electric bill wise to put two pumps in line on the same return line than to run one higher head higher wattage pump. Do you own the house or are you renting/leasing. After all you can not take with you the walls and floor if your just renting and wish to move. Do you have concrete walls and need to frame in a room? It might sound strange but look in the used materials adds for a portable walk in cooler, or for stress skin panels. A freezer is usually made of stressed skin panels. They are a sheet of foam with a finished skin on both sides. Those skins can be almost anything from plywood, sheet rock, aluminum, stainless steel, plastic panels, even glass fiber reinforced stucco. The side edges are usually tongue and groove. They are used even on new industrial buildings and insulated barns and for covering post and beam frames on new homes. There are even sauna kits made out of stress skin panels. The prices are reasonable. And walls go up real quick. I would insulate and install a very, very good and well sealed vapor barrier in any sump room I put in a cool space.

Last edited:
Back