Seen This Mini-Canister?

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+16742&pcatid=16742

I've been looking for a little tiny canister to use as a water polisher once in awhile. The Magnum HOT that I have is just too big and cumbersome to deal with. I don't want to use a liter of carbon to polish my tank once or twice a month. This little canister looks like it would be perfect.

I have this stupid 5.5g tank sitting here with my 6-line wrasse inside. He got thrown in there when he tried to kill Nemo in the 30g tank. Well, the wrasse isn't going anywhere, and I kinda want to set up a small frag tank. I could use the little canister on that tank 24/7.

Part of me wants to buy 2 of these. I could use one 24/7 on my little tank. I could use the other for polishing the 30g tank. It doesn't look like it holds a whole lot of carbon. Perfect size little unit so that I don't waste a bunch of carbon.

The more practical guy says to buy one and see if I like it.

Has anyone used these before?

I've been pouring over the net looking for reviews on this canister. Found a bunch of references to the same review. There's like one or two reviews on the entire net.

One guy says it leaks and the tubes are junk.

The other guy says it works okay, but could have better quality tubes.

Given that info, I'd say I'm willing to take the risk on it. I might turn it into a sorta MOD project and just count on replacing the tubes right away with some vinyl tubing or PVC.

Zoo Med (model 501) makes a small canister thats designed for turtle/reptile tanks. It's $10--$15 more up front cost, but it doesn't really get glorious reviews either.

If I'm going to buy cheap--I'm going dirty cheap. :pooh: I just want something I can load up with carbon and FORCE water through it.

I say it cheap enough to give it a shot.

If you're willing to spend a little more the Eheim Ecco is about $80 and about the most reliable on the market.My nephew is still using the one I gave him a couple years ago.The same one use on my old 72g....it's being use since 98'.

I'm sure that Eheim is a nice canister. I just don't want to spend that much money on it.

I think I just want something for intermittent use right now. I'm willing to take the risk on it. I need to get some chemicals and salt anyway. I'll just add the Rapids mini canister to my order. I'll probably not be happy with the way the hoses connect to the unit and I'm sure that I'll end up with vinyl tubing or PCV attached to the pump. Might even have to hit the lawn sprinkler isle at the big box. I heard there's lots of barbed plastic fittings there.

Back