Salts

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
So my LFS is moving and they will be closed for a couple months

It's actually a secret that they are opening a new location that will be huge. but I'm friends with them so I know.

I'm thinking I'll just buy a salt bucket then.

First of all is the drinking water that Jewel sells from their machines for 33 cents a gallon ok for aquarium use? I think it has been through reverse Osmosis?

If that's ok then I need to find what kind of salt to order, assuming it's not that hard to handle./mix

I'll get a 50 gallon bucket

Seachem a good brand? I like their other products

It's $14 for 50 gallon bucket

Can you make it in smaller batches? Or should I just buy some big container and put it in my basement and mix it so that it is there when I need it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
i would just get a bucket of whatever salt that you normally use or your LFS uses if you get it premixed from them.

yes you can mix it in small batches, but i like to mix it up before i use it to make sure there is not a lot of settling from transport.

i am not sure about the water at that particular store.

I mix mine in five gallon buckets. I run a power head and a heater to make sure the salt is completly mixed and at the right temp. It is very easy. Get yourself a ro/di it won't take long to save more money that way.

I got the sameone biffer got off of ebay a 6 stage for 60 buck took only afew minutes to hookup. I am moving mine to the laundry room to run the waste water into the washing machine. They say the filters will last a year but we will see. I think it was pure water club.

what RO/DI units would you recommend?

are they easy to set up?
how often does the filter need to be changed and how much do they cost?

I have been using Reef Crystals.

There is only one way to know if you need to change your filters, and that is by getting a TDS meter.

ok

so where can I buy water suitible to use?

I have heard walmart, but that is like 10-15 min drive and Jewel is 2 minutes away

Anyone used Jewels water from their machine?

If it says RO water on the machine, then it's fine to use.

I use Seachem salt. I like it. You can buy the big bucket, measure out how much you need in a separate container, and use it a little at a time.

ok so I'll use the Jewel machine because it says Reverse Osmosis and then I'll look cool filling up a lot of water there

so you say just buy a bigger bucket to save money and measure out what I need?

is it easy to mix?

Seachem Reef or Marine? Reef right?

It's easy to mix. Measure out the salt, add water, put a powerhead in there to mix it and a heater to warm it up, wait a few hours, test salinity, add more water or salt if needed, wait a few hours, test it again...

I use Seachem Reef.

All MH lights have fans built in, I think it will still heat up the tank too much. But if you want to go MH, I'd go with the 250, that will let you keep anything you want.

here's what the owner of finnex told the owner of Ocean Reflections

Hi Matt! Ken the owner of Finnex said the 150w and the 250 (with a fan) will raise
about 2 degrees in a normal 8 hour lighting period, he said though like I mentioned
it has a lot also to do with ambient temp and humidity in your house he said if your
house is below 79 you should be OK, he said not that many people use chillers on these
tanks they get by with just fans. Also note the dual fan is out of stock, as much as I don't
like giving the competition business I think fosters carries a nice dual fan, if and when you
are ready to purchase the tank if you let me know what you would like I will give you a grand total.

Back