Safe to put hands in tank?

Banana Man

Reefing newb
Hi,

I was just wondering if there are any health risk to the human from Saltwater Aquariums? I just ask because i already have long term health issues and dont want to pick up anything new from my tank! Does anyone know if its common to pick up certain types of bacterial infections, etc, when in this hobby?

Thanks

Don't mean to scare you LOL But yes, there are risks from the bacteria, but the chances of getting them aren't high (but it can happen). Bristleworms to corals can sting you, too. If you have open cuts, wear gloves. You can buy arm-length gloves. I, myself, use latex rubber gloves when simply changing the algae clips, but it's more because of the lotions on my hands. I don't want to contaminate the water. If you're that worried, just take precautions.

i put my hands in the tank all the time , risks are there but i think minimal (i find my immune system is very high), unless you have a cut or wound , some people use gloves just in case, i am careful not to get stung by any bristle worms , and when i had my lionfish i was careful around em too, also when handling my zoas

I never wear gloves, but getting cuts from rocks can give some people infections, not once have I got anything frommy tank te amount of times I have been cut.

My hands are in the tank a lot. Nothing happened to me yet. Even when I fragged zoas. I just wash my hands real good in hot water

If I'm moving rocks around I'll use my gloves, (don't want to get stung or scratched), otherwise if I'm just adjusting something like a fragor powerhead then I don't worry about it.

ALso depends on what you have the in the tank. I changed the water in my anenome crab tanks a few weeks ago and put my hands in to the tank water later ( the anenomes were not even in there anymore) they must have released some cnidocytes into the water and I got stung. I had about 20 round blisters. Very painful for about 6 hours and the scars are still dark. I took a course of strong anti biotiocs to ensure they didn't infect.

Stings from lionfish are definately something to be avoided as the toxin builds up rather than your body building up an imunity.

I suggest you research your creatures and keep a safer than usual tank.
:Cheers:

Back