Refugium Substrate

SeaBee

Ha Ha Thats Funny!
So my LFS guy sold my friend this stuff for his fuge, which we just got going. I told him to hold off before putting this stuff in, I never used it, all I have in my fuge is some cheeto and rock rubble. So I wanted any opinions on this stuff before we go dumping this in there. His sump is in and finally running, although I did not set the skimmer correctly the first time and we had all this water fly out onto the floor, oooops! :shock:
But running now and seems ok.

Refugium Substrate

Going by the description, it's nothing more than different size grains of aragonite.
  • A blend of high-purity aragonite particulate grades to simulate the natural substrate particle profile of tropical reef lagoons
  • Multiple particulate grades encourage biochemical reactions (e.g. nitrification and denitrification) within the sediment to facilitate continuous release of constituent ions (calcium, carbonate, strontium, magnesium, potassium, and sixty minor and trace elements), encouraging the growth of reef-building organisms and helping stabilize pH
  • Over 39% calcium and 57% carbonate by dry weight
  • Applications include refugia, sea grass and macroalgae bed systems, mangrove systems, and other methods of filtration employing substrate to facilitate natural reduction of organic and nitrogenous waste, and reef aquaria of all sizes (notably nano-reef systems)
  • Formulated by a marine scientist
I find this quite amusing....
"to facilitate continuous release of constituent ions (calcium, carbonate, strontium, magnesium, potassium, and sixty minor and trace elements), encouraging the growth of reef-building organisms and helping stabilize pH"
All that does happen when aragonite dissolves, but your pH needs to be around 7 before it starts to dissolve. So.....who keeps their pH at 7?

Back