Random questions:

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
OK, I've been trying to limit the number of posts with newbie questions so I've gatherd up a few. Here goes:

1. I didn't realize that you were supposed to put carbon that is in a basket inside a media bag first. As a result about a tablespoon of small charcoal rocks blew into my tank. They are scattered around on the sand. Are these hurting the fish? My tank is really tall and it's a pain in the butt to try and dig all these things out.

2. When I set up my tank I went with black live sand. It turned out to look more gray than I like. Also, when I added the miracle mud from Indo Pacific there were some white rocks in there. It looks cluttery and I would like to add a layer of argonite/crushed shells on top. My sandbed community is doing great, I've got new baby pods and all kinds of stuff sliming around under the surface of the sand, If I add an inch or so of argonite will it harm my sandbed critters?

3. I hate all the junk hanging on the back of my tank, if I move it to a sump will it be ok? Mostly I'm thinking about the heater I know the skimmer and filter will be ok there.

4. Are bubble tip anemones the same pain in the a$& that other kinds of anemones are? I read about them and they seem nice to tanks? That can't be right.

5. I got my daughter a 14 gallon bio-cube for Christmas. (she's trying to take controll of my tank) Is there anything I should know about setting up a tiny tank? Are there any articles that we should read?

6. Are there any books that describe the effects of different lights on corals, fish and human eyes on a really in-depth level? Most of the articles I find are rather basic about how the different lights are affected by water.

7. Are there any books that describe tank plumbing really well?

8. I love Zoos and 'shrooms. Are there any really funky looking ones out there? Looked through my marine invertabrates book and found a bunch are there any really wonky ones?

9. If you're still reading this insanely long list, bless you and thanks for your help!!

Catherine

I'm not the right person to answer those questions, but just wanted to share that I too had to start a small tank for my daughter, who was trying to take over MY tank as well LOL ... I had an old 10 gallon which I'm going to start a freshwater with a few guppies for her...get her trained on water testing and stuff :)

I am not sure about the books.
There are more colorful zoos then you could ever imagine. Some of them come with a huge price tag.
I personally would be worried about adding the sand. Were you thinking about adding white? Over time it will end up getting mixed in with the black, and be really grey.
There are websites for nanos. I think one might be nanotuners or nanogeeks. I am sure somone else will know.
The heater can go in your sump.
If you can get the carbom out I would. I think I have had a few pieces in my sand for years though.

1> The tea spoon of carbon shouldnt hurt anything at all.

2> I wouldnt put the whole inch in at one timemaybe just a coat the add another a few days later etc. Be aware that it will probably end up mixing all together and you will have grey sand anyways.

3> If you decide to add a sump to your system, buy another heater(you really want to have two anyways) When you get the sump set up and running put the new heater in the bottom, then unplug the old one let it sit in the water until it all cooled off and then put that one in the sump as well(DONT MOVE IT HOT CAN EXPLODE)

4> All anenomes are a PITA

5> Water quality is harder to maintain in a small aquarium. Good husbandry is key to a nano tank.

6> Not really sure

7> NOt that I have found, but its really easy. If you've never done plumbing before maybe pick up a basic book at Home Depot but its really not necessary. I can help you if you'd like(not in person obviously)

8> There are more zoa's and palys than you can shake a stick at. If you can think it up it probably exists

9> You are welcome

I am not sure about the books.

I personally would be worried about adding the sand. Were you thinking about adding white? Over time it will end up getting mixed in with the black, and be really grey.

I picked up a bag of live argonite sand and a bag of live crushed shells. The sand I have in there now is fine, like beach sand. My hope is that the chunkier sand will stay on the top and the fine sand will sift to the bottom. I hope. I guess with a smaller tank, these things end up looking more cluttery than if they were all spread out.

I have learned so much in just this past month!

Catherine

questions
1. if you can pick it out than do so, as far as i know it will not hurt anything.
2.one thing you can do is get something to section the tank like a 1/4 at a time and take that sand out and put in new sand and in a week or so move to the next section and so on. |new|old|old|old| |new|new|old|old|
3.everything in the sump is fine it keeps the DT from looking cluttered.
4. bta's are just like any other nem. yote had one that decided to move and it stung and killed lots of coral. i like them but will not put one in a tank with coral or fish.
5.small tanks are just like big ones but they require more frequent water changes to keep the water good. they do not make good nano skimmers either so weekly water changes are a good idea.
6. there are a few good books out there cant think of any off the top of my head but as for light all they are going to say is low medium and high ligting needs
7. not shure if there any for aquariums.
8.there are tons of shrooms and zoos that are crazy looking here is a link that has some ricordia shrooms and zoas. www.yourreef.com
9.thats what we are here for to help each other with our hobby and to make new friends.

WOW, James, those Zoos on that site are beautiful!

So, I sprinkled some of the white argonite sand in to see if I liked it better than my gray stuff. I figured I could mix it in myself and still have gray sand and before I trade out sand I would see how I liked it. The difference in the colors of my tank is wonderful! It turned my water a bit cloudy, will that hurt my fish? Also, I think I'm just going to add a bit and keep adding a bit over time to keep the white effect. I worked hard to get my sand community going and I don't want to pull them out!

Thanks for the advice, you guys are awesome!

Catherine

DON'T add crushed coral substrate to your tank. It's okay to add aragonite sand, but crushed coral is a whole 'nother beast. Crushed coral particles are big enough to trap detritus and crap, but too big for your cleaner crew to keep clean. Gunk ends up accumulating in it, and will cause nitrate and algae problems.

DON'T add crushed coral substrate to your tank. It's okay to add aragonite sand, but crushed coral is a whole 'nother beast. Crushed coral particles are big enough to trap detritus and crap, but too big for your cleaner crew to keep clean. Gunk ends up accumulating in it, and will cause nitrate and algae problems.

good to know! thanks!

catherine

ryan and daugherty totally covered your q's :)
All nems will eventually be a problem (mixed with corals) unless in their own system IMO. Some will eat your fish, too.
The smaller the tank, the harder it is to keep the parameters stable. My 3g pico is doing fine without a skimmer, but I change 1 gallon of water every week. Picos are very cool, your daughter will love it.

+1 for everybody:D
I will never have another anemone in my reef.NEVER.
If the nem gets un-happy in where its at and decideds to take a walk,it will most likely kill or severely damage every coral it touches.

be careful buying zoas online
i swear they take the pictures with a neutron microscope
i ordered from zoomania 1 time and was very dissapointed with what showed up
also one of the frags didnt even survive the trip
i think you are better off buying what you can see
www.thatpetplace.com has nice zoa rocks that are not very expensive and at least have some size to them

the site someone reccomended wants $25 per polyp
i guess that means the last zoa rock i bought for $40 is worth about $3,000

keep in mind also that zoas will change color under different lighting
so the pretty pink and purple one you buy might end up green and pale blue under your lighting

just my two cents:twocents:

be careful buying zoas online
i swear they take the pictures with a neutron microscope
i ordered from zoomania 1 time and was very dissapointed with what showed up
also one of the frags didnt even survive the trip
i think you are better off buying what you can see
www.thatpetplace.com has nice zoa rocks that are not very expensive and at least have some size to them

the site someone reccomended wants $25 per polyp
i guess that means the last zoa rock i bought for $40 is worth about $3,000

keep in mind also that zoas will change color under different lighting
so the pretty pink and purple one you buy might end up green and pale blue under your lighting

just my two cents:twocents:

Thanks so much for your comment. Photographs are often deceptive. I noticed that the white crate in the background looked pretty huge in some of the photos. Still, it's really cool to see all the different varieties! Thanks,
catherine

Back