Questions

grump

Reefing newb
I'm new to this and I am going to set up a sump. I'm going to use a 20 gallon for it. I'm going to have my protein skimmer in the first section. In the 2nd section do I use live rock and sand and baffle it before the return section? and would this be enough filtration for startup? I plan on having fowlr to start and hopefully somewhere down the road have some coral. I realize this has probably been covered somewhere here before, but I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated. (it's a 40 gallon tank)....thanks..John

Most people use a three section sump -- skimmer and heater in the first, rock rubble and macroalgae in the second, and a return pump in the third. The second section is not necessary, but macroalgae really helps with nitrates, phosphates and nuisance algae in the display tank, and it provides a place for pods to breed so they can feed the main tank.

Here's a picture of my fuge....10 gallons, but the concept is the same for whatever size you will use. They're very easy to build yourself. Just ask and we'll help you through it. I did a sloppy job with the silicone on the baffels, but I didn't care bc it's out of sight.

Picture086-1.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Last edited:
Most people use a three section sump -- skimmer and heater in the first, rock rubble and macroalgae in the second, and a return pump in the third. The second section is not necessary, but macroalgae really helps with nitrates, phosphates and nuisance algae in the display tank, and it provides a place for pods to breed so they can feed the main tank.

My nitrates and phosphates have been at zero for a year and I do not have a skimmer. I use a big bunch of chaeto in my fuge with strong light.

Does anyone have a link to basic setting up of a fuge, I`d kinda like one for my 29G, for when I get my new skimmer. I`m also with you Gump I have no idea, A list of the basic set up costs and materials would be nice. Thanks.

Also is it 100% nessercary to have your main tank drilled or could you just run pipes into it?

Ty

Back