Questions

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
I've been fighting low alkalinity for quite awhile. So I went out and got the two part solution. as suggested. I've been using it. But my alkalinity is still low. It did shoot up my Ph and calcium to 400. So I tested my magnesium. It's low so I started adding it. So do I keep using the two part solution or wait until my magnesium gets right? Also how often should I be using the two part stuff?

Also can I add more sand to my sump? If so can I place it on top of the old or dump it in the corner for a few weeks to let it get live? I don't want to kill all my pods because I have lots of them in there.

I'm fighting the same problems Piggy.But heres what I do.
I'll dose magnesium and wait about 30 minutes,then dose for alkalinity,the 30 minutes later dose my calcium.
That seems to bring my levels up slowly,untill I have to miss a dose because of work.In which case,I'm right back to square one.

Which 2-part solution are you using?
What are you using to raise mag?
When using the 2-part, you must first get your parameters in line. You aren't going to necessarily be dosing equal amounts at first.
Test your alk. If your alk is 6 dKH and you want it at 9, use this calculator to figure out how much of whichever supplement you are using you need to add to raise it.
Do the same with calcium. If your at 360 and want to get to 420, use the same calculator and get it where you want it.
Same with mag. (see 2nd ques above). Use same calculator and get it around 1300.
Once your tank levels read where you want them, test calc or alk and wait 2 days. Test again. If your ca was 420 and after 2 days is 400, use the same calculator and figure how much ca you need to add. If you use Randy's 2-Part, you will add equal amounts of both ca and alk. If it calls for 1/4 cup of ca, it will also be 1/4 cup of alk supplement.

I dose slightly less than 1 cup each of Randy's 2-Part every day and my ca stays at 420-430 and alk at 8 dKH. After I use 1 gal of each, I add 1 cup of mag supplement to keep it at 1325.

I went out and bought the two part Kent solution plus Kent magnesium. I was going to make my own but couldn't find the ingredients.

Well something to think about with calc and alk is they *should* be proportional as corals use them in a 1:1 ratio. If one is low then you need to find the underlying cause which most likely was your magnesium.

I tested my tank today.

Calcium 400
Alk 2meq/L
Magnesium 1225

I've been adding magnesium and the two part every day. My calcium and magnesium has been rising but my alkalinity has stayed the same. What am I doing wrong?

When your magnesium levels are in the right range,the alkalinity should start to come up.At least thats how I understand it.

Back