Question about ordering a tank

lemoncade

NubReefer
I set aside an area of my home to house an aquarium. The space is 67inches X 33inches. I'd like the tank to fill up as much of the space as possible. Is there a place online to order tanks at good price, or best to check locally? Also, I've read acrylics scratch, and glass is not as clear. What's the best choice for reef tanks?

i think more people recommend glass over acrylic. uf you want a tank that size ,you will almost have to order it. there arent many 5ft tanks.

if you can afford it , starphire glass aquariums have the best of both worlds it wont scratch because well its glass ,and its clearer than regular glass

the con is that its the most expensive

You might consider going with a standard size tank because it could be very hard (and therefore much more expensive) for find lighting for a non-standard sized tank.

Glasscages.com - Glass Aquariums' has a 60 x 30 x 25 Tall that's just shy of 200g. I was hoping I'd get to 200+, but it's close enough.

There are a few tank options here: Glasscages.com - Online Order Form - 195 - 5 Wide Glass Aquarium

Things like drilled holes, etc. My last tank was a 40gal African Cichlid tank, and I had an underground filter. This will be my first salt tank (Wanted one since working in a fish store back in 1989-90ish). I know nothing of salt water filtration. I doubt I can afford the best there is, but would like as healthy of a tank as possible.

can anyone explain some of the option upgrades?

Starfire glass is a low iron glass, it is supposed to get you a better clarity when looking at things inside the tank

Drilled holes are for overlfows - which allows you to run a sump in the stand of the tank (or in the basement if you really get crazy). You do not need a sump for a saltwater tank, but it is a great place for things like heaters and thermometers and all kinds of other stuff that would otherwise be in the tank or hanging off the back / side

As far as filtration goes - in saltwater it consists of 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon, and a good protein skimmer. Undergravel filters are an ancient technology, and you;ll find that most saltwater enthusiasts no longer use them.

If you're not in any hurry to get this going (and if you are, I urge you to reconsider) and I would go pick up a copy of The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. Its pretty much the bible of saltwater. While some of the info is dated, its all still valid. I've ready it cover to cover about 6 times now, and i still find myself referring to it occasionally. Robert Fenner is also part of a website called Wet Web Media. There are a lot of articles and FAQ's there as well.

Those of us here at Living Reefs are also happy to answer any questions you have

Under gravel filters are for fresh water systems. Look on Craigslist for a decent 55 gallon tank that you can turn into a sump, it is fairly easy. Your live rock will do your filtration, the stand and sump will house all your gear.

The only time you'll have a hard time finding a light for 5 footer is when you get a light that mounts on top. But if you're going to get serious lights you're probably going to get a fixture that you have to hang them. Then length isn't so important...

I think a 4 foot HQI/T5 fixture that you can hang would be perfect. You could then house LPS on the outer 6-12 inches on either side and have enough light in the center 3-4 feet for an SPS focus. Just my 2 cents.

Pictures taken with my phone, sorry for the low quality.

Attachments

• 1.webp
    1.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 5.webp
    5.webp
    10.5 KB · Views: 188
I just set one up exactly like that today for a customer.
You'll be happy with set up.

Got a 265 to do Friday and another 225 slated for one day next week.

I just set one up exactly like that today for a customer.
You'll be happy with set up.

Got a 265 to do Friday and another 225 slated for one day next week.

Can you tell me what sump, power head(s), etc you went with? I'm really new to this, still curious how I should set it up.

Back