purpose of media in the sump

bwaller76

Love my tanks!
ok so every setup i see makes use of live rock, sand, and cheat-o filter media...why is this included in the sump setup and is it completely necessary...

???? YOu talking about Chaeto Macroalgae? The green stuff? It is a nutrient export. It consumes nitrates as it grows which removes them from the water, then you cut it back over time, which removes them from your tank. They are also usually lighted on reverse schedule from your DT so that the PH remains more constant in your tank as the algae picks up in the photosynthesis process where your corals leave off at night. You can usually find it for free from a local reefer because like I said, we all trim it from time to time so there is no reason to skip adding it to your sump.

The cheato isn't filter media. It's a macroalgae.

What you're describing is a refugium. Lots of people have a refugium as part of a sump, but you can have it separately too.

Like Justin said, the chaeto removes nitrates and phosphates. The chaeto, rock rubble and sand provide a place for pods to grow safely, with no predators. They eventually overflow into the main tank, providing your critters with a constant source of live food.

As Justin said also, using a refugium helps to stablize pH.

Like my system:
IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

My sump is in the rectangular tub. My refugium is in the round one. I have a MaxiJet that pumps water from the sump to the refugium, which is slightly higher than the sump. The water flows through the PVC from the refugium back into the sump.

Back