purple up

Dude, calcium and alkalinity that high probably isn't too good for the tank (by that I mean the inhabitants). Calcium at around 400 should be more than enough and try to keep alkalinity around 10. This is a good long term approach that is sustainable and healthy.

Sarah- It is going to increase the calcium which in turn is going to increase the coralline growth, but it is very overpriced for a simple calcium supplement.

We just had a post on coralline recently and the one thing people don't take into account is lighting. Apparently coralline does well with lots Actinic blue or with older bulbs that have shifted to the red end of the spectrum. Some have said newer bulbs can actually cause a coralline die back. Its my understanding coralline needs Calcium 450ppm, magnesium and some iodine which can be supplied thru water changes.

new bulbs can kill corals if you dont acclimate it right. the people that report die off from new bulbs are probably the ones that didn't slowly adjust there reef to the intensity of the new bulbs, i wouldn't rule out either way though that it doesn't grow better under the spectrum of an older bulb.

Fine OK I am tired of this question so I will tell you a secret, just use calcium polygluconate supplementation, but do not tell anyone I told you. I swear it works real well. It does not work well with stoney corals as touted but works great for increasing coralline growth. It is different from other calcium in that it can be broken down into gluconate and a source of carbon, so in a sence it is both a food as well as calcium. But, I did not tell you.

well, it says i capful per 50 gallons....so, i use 1/5 of a capful. lol. ill check Ca levels tomrrow hopefully. i need to go buy a test kit. i only have the API test kit that dont come with one

It can also effect your alkalinity. In the future just remember nearly all supplements are grossly over priced and most are akin to snake charming and snake oils of old. It costs about $25 to make around 5 gallons of purple up.

Back