PSYCO puffer

stinky53081

Reefing newb
About three days ago my Dogface puffer just went ballistic in my tank, knocking over large rocks, ripping my powerheads off the tank walls and occasionally inflating. Needless to say he was not eating and last night needed to be put out of misery. My question is what caused this sudden change in behavior? I have had this fish for about 6 months I have not added any fish for about 2 months or moved any rocks around. The rest of my fish are heathly and tank levels are all in check. My LFS told me nobody knows why this happens it just depends on the fish. I find it hard to believe that this is one of the great mysterys in life so if this has happend to anybody else or anybody has a explaination I would like to know because its not a good feeling flushing a great fish.
Thanks in advance,
Stinky

I have heard of similiar things when fish eat or nip on a fireworm.

Don't think thats the magical answer you were looking for, but might be a place to start.

Brandon

HI,
I used to have a few puffers they were murder on everything in the tank, killed snails, killed cleaner shrimp bit fins off any thing that was close.
They are so smart too, the will hang above a small hermit till he peaks and wham rip it out of the shell.
I don't know what else you had in the tank , but thoses puffer are predators.. sorry for your loss, but it may be better for the tank in the long run.
Doug
Maybe he ate something that was toxic ...

Back