Powerheads?

ravenfan8705

Reefing newb
I don't know for sure but I'm assuming I probably need a powerhead in my tank. Do all powerheads have electric cords or do they have some kind of battery powered ones? I don't know a thing about them but I really was hoping not to have anything hanging out of the display tank?

Even if you have a sump, you will still need to have powerheads in your tank, unless your tank is drilled for a closed loop system (which most aren't). They really don't take up a lot of space, and if you aquascape nicely, you can hide their bodies behind rocks.

I think you can get creative and put a powerhead just about anywhere in the tank. Keep in mind however that every powerhead has an intake that sucks water in - sometimes strongly. For this reason you have to keep it at least an inch or two from the bottom. You also want to keep it a safe distance from any corals, other inverts or your favoite fish's hiding spots. If you place it right in the middle of a "high traffic" area you may be asking for trouble.

Conversely one of the primary reasons to add powerhead(s) to a reef aquarium is to generate water flow. You don't want to place it so far down and behind a rock that most of the flow is blocked.

Back