power is out, suggestions?

monkiboy

Reefing newb
i heard a loud bang and my power just went out. likely a transformer. just my luck when I was just ordering a backup generator.

is it advisable to remove the corals and take them in a bucket to my folks nearby who didn't lose power to maintain flow with a pump? I've been reading and it seems the corals are the worse affected. I would not be able to catch any of the fish.

I'm really nervous to maintain life in the tank. I really couldn't bear to even lose one of my guys.

any and all advice is appreciated.

I posted this here and in my build thread to see if I could get the most exposure as I'm really worried. pardon the redundancy.

Put lid or blanket over tank, lock in heat! Get an air pump and hook it into your car with one of these:

images

the inverter is a great idea! I'm on my way to radio shack now!

when you say air pump ... should I not just use my water pumps to agitate the surface of the water? or is it more important to directly oxygenate the water with an air pump/ air stones?

I believe I read that corals don't do well with air stones or bubble making devices but perhaps this is the lesser of two evils?

thank you!

First off don't panic.
You tank will fine for a couple of hours without juice.If it goes into 3 or 4 hours,then use you hand or something to gently stir the water for a minute or two.

The gentlemen have you covered. The two biggest concerns are temperature and flow. Insulating the tank with blankets will help keep the temperature stable longer. Using a battery powered powerhead or manually stirring the tank will help with flow. It will be fine for several hours. Anything longer than that, and your plan to put things in buckets and move them somewhere where they can be heated and have water movement is a good one. You may want to hit up Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a couple rubbermade tubs to keep the livestock in. They will be happy in those storage tubs for a while as long as you have temperature control and water movement.

ok, thank you all for your input.

the power came on three hours later.

it's actually quite warm here (78 degrees now in washington, dc) so i needed the tank to stay chilly not warm.

nonetheless, everything was fine. my skimmer went bezerk as i forgot to unplug it and it overflowed and the crud that was in there got into the water but no biggie as it was not flowing through the system as i disconnected the sump return pump.

the generac 20kW home gas backup is ordered!

Back