Possible new head on frogspawn?

Mattyice008

Reefing newb
So I know nothing about corals really, and how they form new heads. But when I bought it the guy said it should form a new head every 2-3 months with my lights. I've had it for a little over 2 months and its growing A LOT and doing real good.

So in the picture, I circled a spot where there's this small thing forming. It's almost like a little cup, with tentacles. Really hard to explain. It's like the start of a new head on the frogspawn, sorry for the bad picture but I don't have the best camera. Also, can anyone tell me what those white dots are? They are scattered around the corals and on some of the plugs in my tank.

http://i.imgur.com/aLDcf.jpg
Frogspawn^^
In the circle, the little thing looks like a little new polyp forming.
I'll keep track of it over the next few days and if it gets bigger I'll post another picture

Hard to tell from the blurriness of the picture, but if it looks like a little bud, then it's probably a new head forming. Frogspawns grow by either splitting existing heads or budding off new ones. The white dots look like spirorbid worms, which are harmless.

Hard to tell from the blurriness of the picture, but if it looks like a little bud, then it's probably a new head forming. Frogspawns grow by either splitting existing heads or budding off new ones. The white dots look like spirorbid worms, which are harmless.

Glad to hear about the worms, I was hoping they weren't harmless.
As for the frogspawn, I'll keep track of the small "bud" (That's what it looks like) and post any new info and if it gets bigger I'll try to take a good picture. Today was the first time I've ever seen it.

You will prolly see a bunch of new "heads" form but in my experience they will stay small. Most likely you will notice your large head just keep growing larger until it slowly spreads apart and you will have 2 large heads B) then after a while more 4, and so on.

I've had my frogspawn for 2 years now and it is just finally starting to grow new fresh sprouts that are growing into limbs :) that is after it has split from 6 heads to 30++

(But if you look at the crack right there where you circled in the picture, that there shows you that those stalks are already moving apart and separating. Will eventually be 2 stalks there instead of one :o)

Last edited:
You will prolly see a bunch of new "heads" form but in my experience they will stay small. Most likely you will notice your large head just keep growing larger until it slowly spreads apart and you will have 2 large heads B) then after a while more 4, and so on.

I've had my frogspawn for 2 years now and it is just finally starting to grow new fresh sprouts that are growing into limbs :) that is after it has split from 6 heads to 30++

(But if you look at the crack right there where you circled in the picture, that there shows you that those stalks are already moving apart and separating. Will eventually be 2 stalks there instead of one :o)

Yea I have noticed that there's like an indent where it looks like its going to split. It's gotten a lot more noticeable over the past month.

Back