please help

nathanbird1

Reefing newb
i have a 28 gallon reef tank with a clown fish, copper butterfly fish, 6 line wrase. i also have a torch coral frogspawn coral, polyps, and fox coral. now last night my clown fish had ich so i put some rid-ich in and now i know i was not spose to. now my frogspawn has white mossy stuff on it and nothing will open up. one head of my torch is dieing. i did put new carbon in and a 6 gallon water change. what else should i do or can i do.

thanks,
nathan

Is the med considered reefsafe, if not, a massive water change will be needed. Please post the ingredients of the product. The corals are definely stressing. the ich was probably from the higher bioload in your tank and crowding.

iam not sure what it has in it cuz i took it back to the store. lol..but i did call a couple fish store and they said that it will kill the coral. so i did a water change but was wondering if my coral is going to die with that white stuff on it. what else can i do?

general rule of thumb, if it says reef safe its useless. if it doesnt safe reef safe then it contains copper which CANNOT be used in a reef tank as it will kill all inverts and corals add to the tank as long as the live rock and sand are in the tank

Its sloughing off tissue and it is dead tissue. I would do a 100% water change and hope for the best, run carbon and a lot of it. If you have a reactor or canister filter laying around, pack them full and run it. IMO the best way to treat ich is to wait it out, treat with garlic, or QT the effected fish. Almost all effective treatments are not reefsafe and will kill your corals. If you have another tank, move your corals to it.

the copper will always stay inside the rock and sand and then it will consistently be let out by the sand and rock and always be in your water

It definitely sounds like stress is what caused the Ich to surface. The Copper Butterfly needs a little less then double the volume of what your tank can offer.

Your best bet is to do, at least (if not more) a full water change with RO/DI water over the span of 1-2 weeks.

MAN that sux.
I think you need to get something (anything) set up and get your corals out of that tank.I dont know that even that will save them,but its about your only option at this point.
You'll probably have to throw your rock sand away and completely start over.
BTW
Rid-Ick IS NOT reef safe.

100% water change? If you already did the 6G change you should now do a 50% change. If Rid-ich has copper it will NOT leach out of the LR forever. Obviously there would be a limited amount of copper absorbed into the LR and eventually it will come down to tolerable levels. Try testing for copper and keeping up with water changes before you start throwing out all your LR.

I found this interesting info on getting rid of copper:

"ok we did this very thing in a fully stocked reef tank. we bought some live rock and found out it had been run in a copper treated tank for years . I mean it had copper in it every single day for years and was maintained at levels to kill parasites for the enitre time. we tried the seachem for a while but didn't work near as well as poly filters. the poly will turn blue when it is absorbing copper and different colors if there is something else like ammonia or whatever else it absorbs. our tanks were fully stocked with shrimp fish acro,s , you name it. we did experience some lightening of acro's but no death. we started running the filters and it kept the copper levels low enough for everything to get back to normal health. I can go a year now without a poly filter and put one in for the heck of it and no trace of blue anymore. I am not a real believer that it will continue to release copper forever . at least not enough to hurt anything. all saltwater has copper including the ocean it is a naturally occuring substance. it is only etreme levels that hurt or kill. no way would I suggest getting a new tank because of 5 weeks of use."

Read this too:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/productreviews/gr/prpolyfilter.htm

souds like its worth a shot. I noticed that the disclaimer is that it can leach ammonium into the water colum so I would use it only as much as you need to get your system healthy again. Good Luck!

Sorry to say it but your butterfly has a 99% chance of kicking the bucket very soon. If it survives all the ich and medications and water condition changes from water changes, it will most likely starve to death in a couple weeks. CBB's need lots of fully mature live rock in a well established tank to forage for pods, tube worms, microfauna, etc. Mine lasted only 7 months, and ate all my aiptasia, worms, mysis, and other prepared foods until the day it died. We just don't fully know their nutritional requirements other than they seem to live the longest in 5 or more year old, 240+ gallon systems (from what research I've done).
Hope everything works out for your tank. Only use medications in a quarantine tank that's separate from your main tank, thats the best way to keep your tankmates safe.

Back