PC Vrs T5HO Help!

rwynn

Big Daddy
So I am getting my first lighting fixture tomorrow.

40gallon reef tank, 23in tall.

Is there a difference in T5HO and PC of the same wattage? Do I need more of one type?

I was looking a 4x39wT5Ho and a 192w PC, not sure if either is what I want.

Thanks,
Robert

T5 all the way!!!

PC lights are okay for small tanks that are very shallow (10g or maybe a 20L - but you'd still need a LOT of them). I ran a 10g tank on PC lights for about a year. Those same PC lights are on my 29g frag tank - but the corals are only 3" or 4" under the surface of the water.

For a SERIOUS 40g reef I wouldn't consider anything but T5 lights. :Cheers:

Ok, so the T5 will penetrate deeper? Just trying to understand the reasoning behind it so I can know what goes into that decision :)

+1 Rc
T-5s all the way.
The maine difference between those T-5s and 150 watt halide,is going to be the shimmer you'd get with the 150 watter.But you'll also get a lot of heat being beamed into the tank.
T-5s spread the heat out over the length of the bulbs.Halide bulbs being shorter,concentrate the heat more.

Or more a each has its own purpose thing.

Edit: I have to basically get what I can in my price range to get it past the budget committee, aka my wife. Since I'm asking for 100$ to buy rocks in the same breathe :)

Just a thought, would the 150w MH work fine for coral and such? If that was say my only option and I was prepared to deal with heat issues.

Yeah, that would work. You might have trouble with clams and SPS unless you put them closer to the top. But it'll work.

A lot of people will combine the MH and T5. Or even MH and PC.

You'd buy the 150w MH in a 12k or 14k bulb. Then you'd supplement it with a couple T5 or PC bulbs in actinic color to get the full spectrum of light for the corals.

Yep.The 150 watt halide would be fine for corals in your tank.If thats your perfered light.But in a 40,I think you'll need 2 of em.

If I upped the wattage to say 200 would that cover my coral better? I planned on doing a frag tray near the top anyway and then mostly leave the bottom area to my clowns and mandarin pairs.

LOL - me and Yote pecking away at the same time. :Cheers:

LOL,You just a little bit faster though.:D

http://shop.aquatraders.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=54241

For the price, if it worked sounds really nice, specially since newer reviews say their materials are much better now.

That would work.But you'll wont to spring along with the lights.The HQI bulbs that come with that brand,or pretty much :pooh: Get something like 14K Phoenix bulbs,and I think you'd be set.

Back