Palyo's and Zoas compatible?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
So, along with a few others here, I have a real tough time keeping Zoas. Not sure why. What I'm wondering is if they are compatable. I have both growing together. Sometimes through one another. The Palyos usually win out. I guess since they are taller and can block the light? OR Do the Palyos kill the Zoas?

Just curious.

The only thing I have heard is the palys can overrun the zoas. We have some tiny palys that came on a rock with some blue mushrooms but the mushrooms are WAY bigger. We were told not to put them with zoas. Not much help, just giving a small input.

They are compatible. They can exist side by side with no problem. They do not sting each other. But like others said, if one grows faster than the other, it can be overrun.

Geesh not mine. I have a patch of Zoas that must be 5x5 and then some palys but they have seemed to all bump and stop my the other. I think I have like 6 colors mixed. I must be lucky.

So, if I were to prune a Palyo, say remove ONE growing in the center of a Zoa colony, how would I go about that? Just cut it out? I know these things can be VERY poisonous.

Just cut it out and try and remove as much of the base as possible.

IMO that poisonous thing in totally over-rated. Not all polyps have the paly toxins, not all have a lot in their tissues and you have to be relatively stupid to get it in you to the point where its going to make you sick. So dont eat what you cut off, dont lick your fingers after cutting it off, keep your mouth shut and wear glasses while you cut and dont boil a rock that a bunch of them are on. Thousands of people handle these things every day with no problem, its just the few who werent thinking that we all hear about. Common sense people!!!

I would take a small blade and just scrape it off. And +1 Hannah on the danger thing. Very few people get hurt by them. Don't get their juice in your eye, mouth or open wounds and you will be fine. :)

Back