Painting the room your tank is in

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I've heard this can be bad for your tank because the fumes will be absorbed by the tank.

Is there any need for worry? Any specific types of paint I should use? It's a small room and I have one whole wall that's a big window right by the tank I can open up for good ventilation.

I have painted the room where my tank is. Just keep the ventilation up for the day.

If you are concerned, look for low VOC paint. it has less of the chemicals in it that are the fumes.

I have painted my whole house with the fish tank in it. Like BJ said, open up the windows, turn the air on, do whatever you can do to get the fumes out of the room and your tank should be okay.

OK, I'm just going to open up as many windows as I can with fans in them. It's a small room and like I said there's a huge window in the same room. So hopefully it'll be OK.

Thanks for easing the worry. My LFS guy said it would wipe out my whole tank overnight...

I don't think so. I mean, there's always that possibility when you are using chemicals in close proximity to your tank. I've heard of people's tanks being wiped out by cleaning chemicals they used in the same room and stuff like that. But I think a few of us have painted our fish tank rooms with no bad effects, and I've not heard the bad stories about paint as I have cleaning chemicals.

Back