Over cleaned tank?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
About a week ago I added a 2 little fishies phosban thing filled with carbon to my sump. Ever since I turned the thing on my tank doesn't seem right. I don't know what it is, Something just "feels" off and I'm wondering if maybe it's too clean? The light is kind of harsh? My seaweed isn't as fat as it used to be and my 'shrooms seem thinner? I know this sounds vague, my numbers are solid but it just feels off. Any suggestions as to where I can start looking?

Catherine

I`m sure you rinsed your GAC off before you put it in the tank. Why did you use the GAC for anyway? Just wondering.

Cath,
Well, some corals actually survive a little better in more nutrient rich conditions. The carbon will attract some of these nutrients. The same reason carbon can help reduce algae is the same reason some of that macroalgae might not look as fat..

I`m sure you rinsed your GAC off before you put it in the tank. Why did you use the GAC for anyway? Just wondering.

I added it as part of my sump I'm setting up. This morning I turned it off and it doesn't seem as stark. The carbon did seem to brighten up my tank so maybe I'll just turn it on for an hour ever week or so. We'll see how it does.

Thanks,
C

Also, if more light is getting into the tank because the water is clearer, the mushrooms dont need to extend out as far to get the same amount of light.

Back