Ok Almost Ready

ReelNorth

Reefing newb
Ok, so I have mot of my cichlids sold!!!!

I am looking to unload my 125 gallon as well, since we will be moving into a bigger house in a year or 2. So I am going to use my 80 gallon as a frag/reef tank. I am trying to save some cash here lol.

I am going to get a skimmer appropriate for a 180+ gallon (likely up to a 210 gallon), and I have a 90 gallon sump I traded some fry for. I am going to gradually cure 125 lbs(ish) of live rock, and get some frags locally for 5 or 10 bucks each.

I have corallife T5 lights (pic later today), and some heaters

Do I need a fuge at first? or should I add that as a sep tank beside the sump. The tank has 1 overflow, so I am going to get another drilled for the return.

What should I do once I get the rock - cure away I suppose, and then what, keeping in mind that the tank will be mostly to grow out corals. Do I need better lighting? Can I put a couple of fish in it?

I will be upgrading to a 180 minimum once I move:frustrat:

I checked my light - its a coralife 48" 10000k T5 Funny - one o the bulbs is burnt for I dont know how long and its still bright as anything

They'll stay good and bright.But usually around the 18 month mark,they'll start to shift spectrium,which can lead to algae.

No, that's not enough light. That's just a little over 1 watt per gallon. T5s are more powerful than other types of light, but you should look into getting at least a 6 bulb fixture.

My fiance actually told me to go for the whole show, so I will keep the 125 gallon. I think its big enough to do a really nice reef. I can get it drilled locally.

So what do I need to get. The sump I was going to get will not fit undethis stand, so I was thinking about making my own out of a 55 gallon tank, which will fit.

Do I need a fuge?
What lights should I get for a reef tank -

are soft corals a better way to go, or should I look at stony corals?

The skimmer I should get?

Lighting for the fuge?

etc

THEN>>>>>>>>

125 lbs of live rock? Can I use base rock - I have 50 lbs already

What corals are recommended?

Fish?

Shrimps etc

:^:

I am getting excited, and I appreciate the help:bowdown:

The 55 will make a good sump. All you need is some baffles(plexi glass or glass) and silicon. Very easy to make. Split it into three section. One for protein skimmer, one for furg,and one for return pump. Also adding a bubble trap is a good idea. As for the light on sump just about anything will work.
For the main tank I would go with T5's they're cheaper on the electric bill. As for skimmer the Octopus is being recommend now. As for corals it really up to you what you want. Softies are the easiest.
As for LR just buy base rock and seed it with what you already have.

What is a bubble trap? in between one section?

So if I buy a bunch of base rock, and add a few nice pieces of live rock the critters will spread.....

Same as the sand I suppose.

So 6 bulb T5's? This doesnt sound expensive at all!!!!:^: (right.....)

A bubble trap is just a couple of baffles set up to keep bubbles out of the return section of your sump.

Yeah,The live rock will eventually seed the base rock.And the base is a lot cheaper than live.

Where you'll save with the T-5s, in bulb replacement and electricity.Mainly because you get more light per watt burned.But you can spend as much as you want on buying them.Anywhere from 200.00 up.Some run as high as 900.00.

A bubble trap is just a couple of baffles set up to keep bubbles out of the return section of your sump.

Yeah,The live rock will eventually seed the base rock.And the base is a lot cheaper than live.

Where you'll save with the T-5s, in bulb replacement and electricity.Mainly because you get more light per watt burned.But you can spend as much as you want on buying them.Anywhere from 200.00 up.Some run as high as 900.00.

you mean upwards of 2,000

Back