New to salt water

Hi! Welcome to the site!
I'd just like to add that tap water generally isn't used for saltwater tanks. An RO/DI unit is a great investment. Bulk Reef Supply is a great place for those.
Have fun with your new tank and good luck :)

Hi! Welcome to the site!
I'd just like to add that tap water generally isn't used for saltwater tanks. An RO/DI unit is a great investment. Bulk Reef Supply is a great place for those.
Have fun with your new tank and good luck :)

I planned on using water from a pet store until I get one. My water absolutely sucks, and I even filter it before i put it into my hot tub.

welcome and yes like Northstar said feel free to ask any of us any questions you may have or concerns. The folks here are quite helpful. Cant wait to see your build in action.

Just went to a different LFS and they told me I should go for a sump system right away. I don't believe that I would need one. What do you think?

You dont need a sump system, but they are really handy. I dont have one right now, but that is the first thing I am adding to my tank when I move.

For a 29g you can get away without a skimmer or sump if you need to wait to purchase those, and can do an HOB skimmer when the time comes. I think you should add an RO/DI unit near the top of your list, and would also recommend getting a refractometer to test your salinity (they run around $50 but are worth it) - hydrometers just aren't very accurate. Otherwise, for the 29, sounds like everyone has you covered already! And Welcome!

Ok, so I scrubbed my fish tank with vinegar twice and then with CLR 5 times, and I STILL have a water ring at the top of the tank. Is it ok to leave it there?

I will probably just take the plunge and buy a RO/DI unit from Buckeye Field Supple or Bulk Reef Supply. I am not sure which.

As far as the skimmer, I will eventually get a HOB one when I need it. I might also get a HOB refugium.

I will probably get a sump if I ever upgrade to a bigger tank. I might make this tank into the sump at that time.

Ok, so I scrubbed my fish tank with vinegar twice and then with CLR 5 times, and I STILL have a water ring at the top of the tank. Is it ok to leave it there?

I will probably just take the plunge and buy a RO/DI unit from Buckeye Field Supple or Bulk Reef Supply. I am not sure which.

As far as the skimmer, I will eventually get a HOB one when I need it. I might also get a HOB refugium.

I will probably get a sump if I ever upgrade to a bigger tank. I might make this tank into the sump at that time.

I would clean the tank with vinegar again and let it soak for a while after using CLR. Generally speaking, there are very few chemicals you want in your tank, the silicone seals are capable of absorbing them and then leeching them back into your water. CLR is made for removing calcium and rust, and I'm betting that it has stuff in it that you don't want near your tank - its pretty harsh stuff

Back