New Light

slm32123

Reefing newb
Hey guys, I am wanting to rebuild my hexagon tank, and be able to keep at least lps in it near the bottom of the tank, if not on the bottom. The tank is 2 feet deep on the inside. I am looking at selling my coralife deluxe lunar light (130 watts Power Compacts). and buying this odyssea metal halide/t5 combo. Odyssea Metal Halide System

obviously it is 298 watts total, what I am wondering, is will I be able to keep at least lps near the bottom of the tank with a 250 watt metal halide over the tank?

also, ive heard lots of bad things about odyssea, but lately more good than bad. how long have you had yours, and have you had any problems?

Their new lights are completely fine and will fire off aftermarket bulbs, I havent had any problems with mine I've only had it for a few weeks now but so far nothing going wrong with it, the bulbs seem to be fine but i know they arent anything special the 15k's are a really crisp white not much blue but the actinics give a blue hue. dont have mayn corals under right now so cant vouch for lps my tank is 22 inches deep and the light penetrates no PAR readings though. BL1 i think has the same setup and his stuff does fine he can speak about the coral aspect maybe.

Yup, I've been running my for almost 6 months now. I think they're a great fixture for the price, the bulbs definitely need to be replaced sooner rather then later though.

ok, now my question is. should I go with that fixture, or get the 150 watt mh from fishneedit? over my 75 I have two 48 in 4 bulb t5 fixtures from fishneedit, and i have absolutely no complaints about them.

My main thing is getting something that I will be able to keep at least lps with in that tank.
IF I dont set up that as a reef, due to cost problems. do you guys think I can keep LPS in my 10 gallon with my 130 watt coralife PC fixture? Or would the 70 watt MH from fishneedit be better over the 10 gallon instead of my 130 watt light. Or possibly this light over the 10 gallon instead of the 130 watt light i currently have http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-48in-4x54W-T5-HO-Light-Fixture-Extendable-p/52303.htm

Last edited:
Yep, that light will do it for you, allowing you to keep whatever you want.

Which light are you talking about smitty? the original 1? Because now I am thinking I will just setup my 10 gallon nano reef. Will that 96 watt T5 fixture allow me to keep whatever I want in the 10 gallon? or should I just stick with my 130 watt coralife fixture

Back